Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum URL

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

the first ‘forums’ is the sub domain where he has installed it (what you call ‘in its own folder) so that cannot be changed.

The ‘/forums/’ is what bbpress uses, you can omit that in the sub-domain wp installation

dashboard>settings>forums>fourm root slug, and untick the ‘Prefix all forum content with the Forum Root slug (Recommended)’

That might achieve your first objective, but probably what you really want is the forums within your site, unless your site is massively complicated or your forums are huge, there is no reason not to have bbpress within your main site

sightup
    Participant

@sightup

When you say the “forums within your site,” what do you mean exactly? The site uses a lot of custom stuff that is kind of thrown together. I thought it would be best to separate the two things so that if one thing goes out, the other doesn’t. With that is your recommendation pertaining the unchecking of the box still recommended?

Robin W

@robin-w

I should say that I am not the plugin author, just an experienced user.

bbpress just uses wordpress custom posts, so in most cases having the forums within the main site would be no problem. Of course I don’t know your site, so cannot recommend, but most sites just have it within. If the main site is down, chances are that most will not access the forums directly, but rather via the main site, so the forums would ‘appear’ to be down as well.

It is an option to uncheck the box, it is not a recommendation (the box I quoted in settings recommends that you do display the prefix, but I think this is just for clarity in the url).

unticking the box would achieve https://forums.X.com/ and putting the forums in your main site would achieve https://X.com/forums/

sightup
    Participant

@sightup

So do you mean the setting “Forum Prefix?” Because that is already unchecked, yet I have that obnoxiously long URL still.

sightup
    Participant

@sightup

This is all under “Forum Root Slug” too? Because under “Forum Root” it says “forums” and next to that it says ” Possible bbPress conflict: Forum slug” and I was wondering if that was an issue?

Robin W

@robin-w

probably

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar