Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum subscriptions

• rzelnik
    Participant

@rzelnik

I have a WP+BBP installation for few months. The forum subscriptions worked well until recently – it sent e-mail notifications for users subscribed in a particular forum or topic as expected. Now it doesn’t send any e-mail. Any other e-mail notifications (user registration, password change etc.) are working well. I tried to create two bare new installations of WordPress with bbPress and no other plugins. It is working like my existing WP+BBP – all e-mail notifications are working well, except the new forum/topic notifications.

BTW, where can I find the subscriptions/notifications setttings? I can not find it. I can just check this one checkbox in Forum Features:

Subscriptions [] Allow users to subscribe to forums and topics

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• rzelnik
    Participant

@rzelnik

Update to my previous post: I have tried to debug the wp_mail input via WP Mail Log plugin. It seems that the bbPress doesn’t respect the e-mail settings. I have set outgoing (from) email address via WP-Mail-SMTP plugin. The rest of the WordPress email functions respect this setting, but the forum/topic notifications send the mails with default outgoing/from address (<noreply@domain.tld>). In addition, the recipient/to address of the sent emails is also noreply@domain.tld, despite the fact, that the recipients have their own email addresses set in their user profiles.

Emails previous to bbPress 2.5.4 were sent out out to each recipient email individually (one email per user), since bbPress 2.5.4 we now only send a single email with all the recipients as BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) and all emails are sent using as you state a default email address of noreply@domain.tld.

bbPress also works fine to send emails with many of the WordPress mail plugins and should work as we are using WordPress’ wpmail function to send them.

rzelnik
    Participant

@rzelnik

Thank you Stephen for your answer. You are right with the BCC, it works as described. However, something causes that in the forum post notifications the “From” is set back to the default <noreply@domain.com>, although it is set to different/custom address by the WP Mail SMTP plugin. Here are two e-mail logs captured by the WP Mail Log plugin:

1. Forum post, e-mail notification sent to subscribed user(s):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9349232/bbpress-email-testing/wp-mail-log-forum-post.txt

2. BuddyPress Friend request sent to the requested user:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9349232/bbpress-email-testing/wp-mail-log-friend-request.txt

Both messages are sent from the same installation with the same configuration. You can see that the friend request has “From” address set to neodpovedaj@tvorivo.sk (the desired address), while the forum post notification has “From” set to noreply@forum-vyvoj.tvorivo.sk (which is wrong).

My web hosting service blocks the PHP mails sent from unknown addresses, so that’s the reason why the e-mails are not delivered. I will try if it works with some other E-mail/SMTP configuration plugins.

rzelnik
    Participant

@rzelnik

So I tried a different e-mail configuration plugin: WP SMTP. The forum post notification emails are now delivered well. It’s strange that in the e-mail header there is the right sender address, while in the captured log there is still the default wordpress noreply@domain address, see here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9349232/bbpress-email-testing/wp-mail-log-wp-smtp-forum-post.txt

Anyway, it is working well for me now.

wplove3268
    Participant

@wplove3268

I’m having a similar problem.
    In my case the “from” address for the subscription emails is being written incorrectly:
    “noreply@www.detoxtheworld.com” instead of “noreply@detoxtheworld.com”.
    The wrong “from” address is causing the e-mails to not be delivered.

Any suggestions on how to resolve the without having to use the WP SMTP plugin rzelnik mentions? (I tried that route and ran into errors).

rzelnik
    Participant

@rzelnik

@wplove3268, I know that this is out of scope of the bbPress project, but IMHO the sender address should be configurable within the WordPress core. The current impossibility to change the sender address doesn’t make sense to me.

Anyway, maybe this article will help you:

Changing the wp_mail from address in WordPress without a plugin
    http://www.butlerblog.com/2011/07/08/changing-the-wp_mail-from-address-in-wordpress-without-a-plugin/

jayd94
    Participant

@jayd94

Hello!
    Same problem, but WP SMTP didnt help the problem sadly :/ any idea since then?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar