Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum sending email notifications to itself

• bhammondCVL
    Participant

@bhammondcvl

WordPress 4.9.4, bbPress 2.5.14

From topic subscriptions I’m getting bounced email messages that look like this:

———- Forwarded message ———-
    To: noreply@[name-of-site].org
    Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:14:35 +0000
    Subject: …

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to a forum topic.
    Login and visit the topic to unsubscribe from these emails.

They bounce, obviously, because they have the same From and To addresses. There is no user who has this address, obviously. The mail is being generated by PHP–that is, I’m not using any additional plugin to send mail.

Any ideas on what might be causing this, and how it might be resolved?

I’m sorry that I can’t link to the site, but it is an intranet, so not publicly available.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• bhammondCVL
    Participant

@bhammondcvl

This appears to happen only in topics that at least one user has subscribed to. If a topic has no subscriptions, it does not generate the From: no-reply To: no-reply messages. Actual users seem to be getting notifications as they ought to. The To: no-reply messages appear to be generated in addition to normal notifications to actual users.

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, I will come back on this, but weekend here, so fitting in between family !

bhammondCVL
    Participant

@bhammondcvl

No worries–I am looking forward to a nice weekend myself. Here are some more, possibly useful, details:

I installed bbPress on another, far more generic, site and got the same behavior–bounced messages to no-reply@site-name if any user had subscribed to a forum or topic.

I installed the plugin “bbPress Custom Topic & Reply Notifications” by Pippin Williamson and got its customized notifications, but also the no-reply bounces.

I deactivated that and installed “bbPress Notify (No-Spam)” by Vinny Alves, which said it provided the ability to override bbPress’s default subscription functions. Using this plugin seems to have resolved the bounces.

So it would seem to be a problem with bbPress’s subscriptions functions, and not a conflict with some other plugin or some other site-specific oddity.

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress changed from sending individual subscription updates to sending a bulk one, by sending an email to no-reply@site-name and then bcc’ing in all the people due to get an email.

This is why you are seeing this.

bhammondCVL
    Participant

@bhammondcvl

Interesting. Is there a way to change the address being sent to, so that it’s not the same “no-reply” address used for the From?

Robin W

@robin-w

yes add this to your child theme function file

add_filter ('bbp_get_do_not_reply_address', 'rew_no_reply') ;
    function rew_no_reply () {
    Return 'xxx@yyy.com' ;
    }

changing xxx@yyy.com to wehatever address you want

Pexle Chris
    Participant

@pexlechris

Dear Moderator how can I write new topic?

Robin W

@robin-w

by clicking the ‘create new topic’ in the bar below the bbpress logo

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar