Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Page not created

• drew345
    Participant

@drew345

I installed bbPress and am following the “creating content” instructions from this webpage:

Creating Content

I created a forum using the instructions under “Creating a Forum”. The forum (called “Purchasing”) shows up under (Forums: All Forums) in my control panel.
    The instructions say that my forum will be created at:
    http://yourdomain.com/forums/forum/yourforumname

But when I look at my wordpress pages in the control panel, there is no page for “forum” or any subforum created yet.

How do I actually put the forum as a “forum” page in my website? Even though I create forums, there is no forum page created. Do I have to create that top level “forum” page manually using an “add page” from my dashboard?
    Thanks,

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

drew345
    Participant

@drew345

Thank you,
    It says in those instructions:
    — —
    3. Creating a forum page
    You do not need to create a page and set a full width page template if you want full-width forums
    — —

So on my website, there is no forum page automatically created. The instructions you gave me says that I don’t need to create the page (full-width forums are what I want). So if I don’t need to create the forum page, and the page isn’t getting set up automatically, then how does the forum page get into my website?

If is is supposed to be created automatically, can you tell me what I might check to see why it is not getting created automatically.

If I am supposed to create it manually, then how do I specify that the page that I create is where I want the forums to go.

Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry someone has edited that page and made it less helpful.

Try

Now we have some forums, we need to have somewhere to display them.
    There are two ways to do this. Most themes support method 1, and this can (can not will) produce tighter theme integration on style [Note this was true for v 2.2 not sure if it still is !]. However Method 2 allows you to have some introductory words. Your choice…!
    Method 1
    This requires a couple of checks first
    a. In Dashboard>settings>forums look for what is set in the forum root under the forum root slug heading. The default is ‘forums’ but you can set this to anything
    b. In Dashboard>settings>permalinks check that the common settings check is set to ‘postname’ If it isn’t and you don’t want to change it, then use method 2.
    Now just create a wordpress page that has the heading that was found in a. above eg if the root slug is ‘forums’ create a page with the title ‘forums’, and save.
    Once the permalink has been created, you can rename the page to whatever you wish eg ‘mysite forums’ (as the permalink will stay the same, and it is this permalink that bbpress looks for)
    Save this page, add it to a menu if you are using custom menus, or decide its order if you have automatic menus. Then publish it to your site.
    Job done!
    Method 2
    If either your theme doesn’t work with method 1, you don’t want permalinks with postname, or you want to use some introductory text (eg “welcome to our forums…”, then method 2 is for you.
    In dashboard>pages
    go to add new page
    Call this ‘Forums’ or whatever you want your menu item to be.
    Then in the content section, you may want to have some introductory words “welcome to the forum” etc. then add the following bbpress shortcode
    [bbp-forum-index]
    Save this page, add it to a menu if you are using custom menus, or decide its order if you have automatic menus. Then publish it to your site.
    You will now have a forum page, and a forum to display.

drew345
    Participant

@drew345

Thanks,
    For me it looks like both options come down to the same thing… create a new page named “forums”.
    Anyway, did that and it looks fine. Showing all my forums there on the top /forums page just fine.

Thanks,

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – glad you’re fixed !

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar