Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum page cached for new users?

• 418design
    Participant

@webfactoryuk

Hi,

Just setup BBPress for the first time and have one problem. If you go to the forum page and then register, login and go back to the forum page it still shows the “You need to register to view the forums” message until you clear your cache.

I am not using any caching plugins on the site at all yet.

Is this normal? Is there a work around?

TIA

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

depend what you men by ‘back’ if you mean your browsers back button, then this will simply return to the previous screen.

418design
    Participant

@webfactoryuk

i mean once they have registered and logged in.

if they visited the page with forums on before all that when they return logged in it still shows the default bbpress you must register message.

you have to refresh to see the forum?

Robin W

@robin-w

if they visited the page with forums on before all that

by doing what ?

418design
    Participant

@webfactoryuk

Im confused.

Guests come to my website and see the forum link, they click it at which point BBPress has a message saying you need to register to view the forums.

They then go to register, fill out their details, create an account and login.

Once they are logged in they go back to the forum.

Because of caching the forum page still doesnt load the forums, it continues to show the “You must register/login” type message.

418design
    Participant

@webfactoryuk

Just realised what might be causing some confusion but the problem still seems to exist.

I am using a plugin to hide the forums so they are private. Thats why when your not logged in you see a bbpress message that I have modified to say you need to login (Think it said there are no forums here by default).

I have now made some of the forums available to the public in the hope that might work but I just tested. Went to the site, loaded the forum, logged in, went back to the forum and I have to refresh the page/cache before I can see the form to post a new topic.

Its not just my local cache either, someone else had the same problem.

Feel like I am missing something stupid! Gravity forms is powering my registration process if that makes any difference?

418design
    Participant

@webfactoryuk

Thought I could maybe get around this with somemthing like wp-members and just hiding the page altogether until a user is logged in but it seems BBpress has other ideas for a users permissions that override anything wp-members does…

Robin W

@robin-w

Once they are logged in they go back to the forum.

went back to the forum

sorry to keep asking , but I keep asking because I cannot fix the issue without knowing PRECISELY what someone is doing.

what does ‘go back’ mean – if it is just hitting the browser back button, then that will always show what was there before. If they are clicking areas on the site, I need to know precisely what areas. ie after creating an account, they log in USING WHAT, and then press WHAT THINGS

418design
    Participant

@webfactoryuk

No not on the back button. I just mean they navigate back to the forum.

If I set the registration process to direct users to the page with the forum on, when they get there you have to refresh the page for the site to realise you are logged in and it can show the previously hidden forums.

To be honest I actually swapped over to Asgaros this morning. The fact BBpress overrides all permissions was the killer in all this. There was no way around it.

Not sure if its a server cache or something causing my original problem?

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress doesn’t override permissions, and works fine on several hundred thousand sites. Sever or webpage cache is the almost certainly the culprit – why it was affecting you we will never know.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar