Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum notification emails sent to “from” address

• 2cats
    Participant

@2cats

I’m running bbPress 2.6.5 with WordPress 5.4.2, and using SendGrid to process notifications. When I check the SendGrid activity log, I see that the forum notifications, which are being sent from a “noreply@domainname” email address, are also being delivered TO that same “noreply” email address. I have searched every setting and can’t find any reason why emails would be sent to that address. Does anyone know how this could happen? My hosting company tells me this could be seen as spam, which could affect delivery. The forums are members-only so I can’t post a link. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bboress notifications are sent from and to the same address, with the actual recipients being BCC’d on the email.

This is a popular way that many people send a single email without letting the recipients see each other.

You probably receive emails this way from some companies.

If you don’t want this, then use

AsynCRONous bbPress Subscriptions

but some hosters may limit the number of emails sent at one time – again seeing these as spam.

There is no right answer – just choose the solution that suits you.

2cats
    Participant

@2cats

Thank you Robin, I’m looking into it! Do you think this might also fix the problem of some people not receiving notifications from the website?

Robin W

@robin-w

it may be that your hoster is cutting the number of emails or number per hour – may be worth checking with them. Also other email services can limit the number of emails being allowed at one time.

so for instance you hoster might send 200 emails, but if say 100 are to gmail addresses, then gmail may see them as spam and cut. (Just using gmail as an example and I have no idea if gmail do this)

email spam is the blight of the internet, but sometimes attempts by algorithms to prevent this stop proper email getting through.

2cats
    Participant

@2cats

Just thought I would post the conclusion here: although the hosting company (which is quite reliable) showed me in the server settings that emails and bcc’s are unlimited, I installed the WP Mail SMTP plugin (pro) with the email log and could clearly see bcc’s were being curtailed somehow. So, I added the asynCRONoug bbPress Subscriptions plugin and it works like a charm. Problem solved. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Robin W

@robin-w

great and thanks for posting back. Glad you are fixed

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar