Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Index Order by Freshness

• confusedneedhelp
    Participant

@confusedneedhelp

Hi, is there anyway to order [bbp-forum-index] by freshness. I have all forums set to order 0 and they appear in alphabetical order. I would like them to be constantly reordered based on the most current forum topic or reply post.

I have seen this question kind of asked in a few places but with a few ambiguities and no real clear answer.

The page is shown here:

https://srilankataxishare.com/forums/

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• benjieblock
    Blocked

@benjieblock

me too – of course no answers here – this forum sucks.

Robin W

@robin-w

I appreciate your frustration that you have not had answers posted, but not sure who you expect to answer them?

People write open source software in their own time and offer it for free. Under the open software foundation the software is offered without any warranty or support. You use it if you like and not if you don’t. It is perhaps a bit much to then expect software authors to answer every question someone might have about that software, or indeed having offered that software to the world for free, that they should invest any time to this unless they wish to. To then complain that they won’t tell you how to modify their error free code to do something you want but they didn’t design seems even more insulting.

If someone gave you a car for free, would you then tell them that they suck because they don’t come and service it for you? or whinge about it because they won’t re-spray it for you because you wanted it in red not green?

I am not a bbpress author, I’m just a guy who uses this software, and in turn spends some of my time in trying to help others. I am too frustrated that people who ask questions on here so rarely then try and help others, and wish that more people would give up free time to help people like you.

But I am just me and we are here to try and help where we can, but please lay off the insults and accept that free software does not come with a right to free support, and if people don’t answer your questions, it is maybe because wee like to help people who appreciate free help.

To work out an answer for you will probably take 1/2 hour of my free time. I’ll take a look tomorrow maybe.

Robin W

@robin-w

oh, and I’ve just looked at your previous interactions, and you just abandoned RobKK who was trying to help you, so hopefully you won’t do the same to me:-)

Robin W

@robin-w

@confusedneedhelp – ok try adding this to your functions file

add_filter('bbp_before_has_forums_parse_args', 'order_by_freshness', 10, 2);

function order_by_freshness ($args='') {
    	$args = array(
    	'meta_key'   => '_bbp_last_active_time',
    	'orderby'    => 'meta_value',
    	'order'      => 'DESC',
    	);
    	return $args ;
    }

if you don’t know how to do that, come back and I’ll wrap it in a baby plugin for you

confusedneedhelp
    Participant

@confusedneedhelp

@Robin-W

Thanks hugely for your time, it worked perfectly 🙂

I truly appreciate the work that you guys put in.

Thanks again!

Robin W

@robin-w

@confusedneedhelp – great glad you are fixed !

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve now incorporated the code above into my bbp style pack

bbp style pack

dashboard>settings>bbp stylepack>forum order

confusedneedhelp
    Participant

@confusedneedhelp

Hi again, I already had the style pack plugin and activated it with the recent update. Thanks. There is a small bug though…

It now lists all forums on the Subscriptions page. Normally it only shows subscribed forums but with this activated it shows unsubscribed ones too.

When you have 20 odd forums it doesn’t look great.

Thanks again for your time.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, let me take a look – but may not be until after xmas !

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve fixed that in the style pack plugin with version 3.7.2

for anyone using the function above it should read

function rew_forum_order_by_freshness ($args) {
    	$args['meta_key'] = '_bbp_last_active_time' ;
    	$args['orderby']    = 'meta_value' ;
    	$args['order']     = 'DESC' ;
    	return $args ;
    }

add_filter('bbp_before_has_forums_parse_args', 'rew_forum_order_by_freshness');

which just changes the order, rather than the previous function which overwrites all the parameters submitted by subscriptions

annyjackk
    Participant

@annyjackk

Hey, Thank you for sharing information here. it’s very needful for us. I appreciate this. 🙂

rblackfox
    Blocked

@rblackfox

I dont appreciate the attitude Moderators seem to have, especially when you’re not even an author. I’m pointing at you @robin-w. If contributing to an open source forum is such a big deal and time drain to you, why even log on and do it? You ask what do I expect? Well I expect every one of you moderators to have a chip on their shoulder when answering any benign question one might have. What I don’t expect is any empathy or acknowledgement that normal users understand what goes into making open source applications. We may not contribute to this forum but we sure as hell contribute to the larger community in other ways. You’d rather write a novel showing your moral superiority than answer the question. “If someone gave you a car for free, would you then tell them that they suck because they don’t come and service it for you?” No I would return that lemon immediately and complain because they suggested it was a car that worked and it doesn’t. Just like you I am also frustrated with stuck up moderators who would rather shut down users than actually help. Maybe you’ll look at it tomorrow? typical. Just tell me to go to stackoverflow why don’t ya. Moderators like you are why I avoid bbPress and other automattic free software like the plague. If you’re doing this just to feel appreciated, stop.

When someone says “this forum sucks” it’s pretty difficult to not take it personally, it does sting, and let’s not leave out the point that it’s incredibly disrespectful regardless of their open source knowledge this type of behaviour is not welcome here, and will not be tolerated either, @benjieblock is now banned from posting on these bbPress.org forums.

@rblackfox
    You question why Robin even does it, if you had read the reply and to which he has every right to reply, and I’ve no issue with his reply, and he has mine and bbPress’ full support, Robin spends countless hours here on bbPress.org helping others and he pointed out why he does it in his reply:

I’m just a guy who uses this software, and in turn spends some of my time in trying to help others.

You state you contribute to the larger community @rblackfox, yet your first interaction on any WordPress property is to criticise a others behaviour here, well you’re also no longer welcome here on bbPress.org, you’ll need to take your own advice from now on and use stackoverflow.

ericsims
    Participant

@ericsims

This works great – thank you!

And thank you for taking out the trash, @netweb. I really appreciate what you do and would like to contribute myself. How do I start?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar