Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forcing to post first before forum can be read ?

• stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

I am looking for a WordPress forum plugin for an educational environment, and came across bbPress. It has many promising features, but there is one essential feature I need for which I cannot find confirmation in the documentation whether it is available in bbPress. This is it:

When a user (student) posts for the first time to a forum — typically in answer to the question related to that specific forum — I want they cannot read the available forum posts until they have submitted their first post: I see nothing/I submit my first post/now I see all other posts.

This is a ‘trick’ often used in educational settings, because it stimulates every student to think about the question from scratch, unbiased by the previous answers. Such an approach stimulates a larger diversity of answers.

Is such a tool available in bbpress?

Thanks for your insight!

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

(sorry for having started this topic in the category ‘installation’, I noticed this only afterwards)

Hi @stefaanc,

In basic bbPress you won’t find this, but maybe with a combination of plugins or some short coding, you should be able to achieve this.

Just some thoughts, do you see a different forum per question, then topics would be what students answer and then eventually replies could be give to the specific topic (answers) ?
    Or would your questions be topics in one or the other forum and then the answers would be replies ?

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

Hello Pascal,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the kind of forum I have in mind is one forum per question. The question would be one that triggers opinions rather than exact answers. If students would read the already available answers first, opinions tend to cluster around the ones that were given first. If they have to formulate their opinion before being able to read the others, there is much larger variety of opinions. And yet they can engage in discussions about each other’s opinions afterwards.

I’m new to WordPress and bbpress, but from the try-outs and tests we have been doing over the past week it looks like the LearnDash plugin in combination with bbpress would be suitable for our needs. We’re ready to invest some work in this if needed. Hence, if you have a suggestion about suitable plugins or would have specific advice for the ‘short coding’ you mention, we will surely investigate.

Thanks !

Have a look at Learndash, it seems indeed to suit for student/teacher needs. Hope you find what you need in there.

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

No, unfortunately it doesn’t. Actually, it were the LearnDash developers who pointed me to bbPress for this problem 😉

We did set up a try-out course using LearnDash. As we did not find a “post first” feature, we searched the LearnDash documentation and eventually asked it in their support forum. Their answer was: “No, it’s not possible yet. We use bbPress for our forum functionality and we suggest you ask the question there.”

So we’re back to square 1, i.e. your first answer: “In basic bbPress you won’t find this, but maybe with a combination of plugins or some short coding, you should be able to achieve this.”

Any specific suggestions on the latter?

Thanks again!

Hi @stefaanc,
    I had some time this evening, so have a look at this plugin: http://casier.eu/wp-dev/bbp-post-first.zip

You should be able to install it by going to your /wp-admin/plugin-install.php?tab=upload and then point to the above zip.

It will:
    – not show any topics unless you have posted a topic in that forum
    – Change the standard text from ‘Oh, bother! No topics were found here.’ to ‘Please post your own topic first before you can see other responses.’
    – upon a save of a topic, allow the user to see all topics in that forum

Test it, test it again and let me know,
    Hope it serves,
    Pascal.

Oh, I’m using bbPress 2.6-beta-2,
    If you use 2.5.12, the ‘Oh bother’ message needs to be slightly adapted

Let me know what version you plan to use.

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

Thanks a lot, Pascal — I’ll give it a try and will keep you updated.

Stefaan

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

Hello Pascal,

The way you described it, feels exactly like the feature I was looking for. I installed it, but nothing seems to happen right away (using [bbp-single-forum id=$id]). That’s probably because I use bbpress 2.5.12, and not the beta version. Do I understand it correctly that you would have to make a different plugin for the 2.5.12? Or should the “$translated_text == ‘Oh, bother! No topics were found here.'” be changed? — so far, it looks like that text is exactly what appears, preceded by ‘this forum is empty’.

Looks like this is going to be resolved, very good — impressive support!

Thanks,
    Stefaan

Let me check on a 2.5.12 install and start from the [bbp-single-forum id=$id] to have the same environment. The only thing is that I’m pretty busy for the next weeks, so not sure when I will be able to push it inside. But I’ll keep you informed.

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

Hello Pascal,

Although I tend to avoid beta versions, I’ve replaced the 2.5.12 by the 2.6-beta-2 to test your ‘post first’ plugin with [bbp-single-forum id=$id]. My observations:

* Prior to activating your plugin, the single forum is visible, with all of its content — as should be.

* After activating your plugin, the existing content of the forum is invisible. There is a message in a blue bar (‘this forum contains … topics and … replies …’), and a message in a yellow bar ‘Please post your own topic first before you can see other responses.’

* Those two messages appear always, regardless whether or not I had posted in that forum prior to activating the ‘post first’ plugin (ideally, it should only show up when I did not post before in that forum, isn’t it?)

* When I then do submit a message to the forum, it brings me to a new screen where I see only my message. I need the back button of the browser to get out of there (not sure how that can be changed?).

* When I do use the back button, I get onto the initial page where I had the single form, but it still displays the yellow bar telling me that I should post first. Even though the counter has increased by one, and my name is mentioned as the last contributor.

In conclusion: it doesn’t look like it does what it should do — it basically blocks all forum content for me, forever.

Hope this helps to finetune (I will stay with 2.6-beta-2).

Best regards,
    Stefaan

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

Hello Pascal,

No pressure, I know you’re busy. I give just a little sign of life, to signal that I’m still interested in this.

Best regards,
    Stefaan

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

The same message as 2 weeks ago still applies 😉

Hello Pascal,

No pressure, I know you’re busy. I give just a little sign of life, to signal that I’m still interested in this.

Best regards,
    Stefaan

I don’t mind the reminder, no worries. But I’m fully busy with WCEU so no programming until June 18.
    Pascal.

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

Great — I’ll patiently (and curiously) wait!

Stefaan

stefaanc
    Participant

@stefaanc

Hello Pascal,

I hope WCEU went fine. Any progress on the ‘post first’ topic?

Best regards,
    Stefaan

Hi Stefaan,

Great timing to get back to me. Let me see if I can move this reply to private so I can leave my email in it…

Pascal.

For anybody arriving on this topic and looking for the same solution, the plugin can be found on https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-post-first/

If it serves, leave a review!

Thanks.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar