Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Force bbPress to use different template then page.php

• Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

Just curious, i’ve worked with bbPress before but it looks like the WordPress Hierarchy is broken by bbPress.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/images/1/18/Template_Hierarchy.png

Normally i could make a page template and call it page-forums.php to make sure WP would use this page template for a new page created by the slug forums

But for some strange reason this doesn’t work anymore with bbPress 2.2.1 and WP 3.5 Beta and Twenty Twelve.

How can i make sure WP or bbPress uses a different page template then page.php for showing the forums and category -index on the forums slug?

I’ve tried everything, Copy/Paste the page-front-forums.php from the Extra’s folder to my Theme’s Root -> Created a new page inside my Dashboard and called it Forums… Nope doesn’t work.. Even when i use the Shortcode [bbp-forum-index] on that last created page.. It keeps using the page.php by default..

Anybody who can help ?
    Because this it totally not very cool 🙂

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

Update:

I think it’s very strange we can’t touch the defaul $slug with a custom page template!
    This is totally not WordPress like.

Now i have to offer my page.php (default page template) to bbPress and make sure when i draft a new page inside my Dashboard i use a different (custom) page template to prevent my lay-out from breaking..

img default slug

I tested to following:
    Dashboard > New Page > Name it HELP > pick my custom Page Template with the bbPress forums index inside it > Saved it and it works 100%.

I don’t know if it’s a bug or glitch but this is totally not the way to do so, because the default slug keeps showing up in the breadcrumbs.

Hope somebody reads this..
    Thanks,

venntom
    Participant

@venntom

Hi,

Seems we are having the same issue.
    https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-and-artisteer-themes/
    Apparently, also other themes are impacted.

Rgds, Tom

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

Hi Tom,

Well i don’t know much about Artisteer because WordPress is not like iWeb or RappidWeaver where you can drag&drop to make your lay-out, If you would like to build or customize your lay-out you need some understanding of HTML , CSS and a bit PHP.
    I’ve helped lots of people at the Dutch WordPress forums and most of them often had trouble with Artisteer because the software often didn’t supported some simple WordPress Codex.
    https://nl.forums.wordpress.org/profile/macpresss

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Have you tried archive-forum.php? The forum page is an archive.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

Another update:

Switching the page.php template with the code of the page-front-forums.php doesn’t work either..

It will output all forums twice.
    I really hope @JJJ or somebody else would comment on this because i can’t believe this is default bbPress and WordPress stuff.

It has to be a bug.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

@zaerl,

Thanks for your help,
    I’m going to test it.. just a few minutes.

Shmoo
    Participant

@macpresss

@zaerl,

Thank you so much for your help!
    You’re right, the forums page is an archive not a page.

so it handles archive-forums.php not page-forums.php

Problem solved.
    Thanks,

mdroca
    Participant

@mdroca

Hello all!

I´m having some similar issue. I´m here reading and reading but nothing help me.
    I did all what Shmoo say here: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/page-php-as-template/

My problem is this: I had upload to my root theme this file from Extras: page-front-forums.php, and now I can see well the forum, but when I click on any link in forum WP load a home-template.php.

I would like to know what code I need to use and which files.

In the template root I use 2: bbpress.php and page-front-forums.php but I don´t know exactly which bbpress code I need to use..

Can any help me please? I don´t know if you are able to undestand me, my english, as you can see, is so bad.
    Thanks in advance!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar