Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Fix for users of s2member and bbPress 2.2

• There’s roles issues with s2member and the new released version of bbPress 2.2. I created a small little plugin that along with the “repair” tools bbPress makes available applies new roles to all the existing users you have with s2member roles.

Go here for the plugin -> https://gist.github.com/4120493 – make sure you read the instructions at top of file.

Viewing 8 replies - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)

• ovizii
    Participant

@ovizii

@kraigg:

same problem here, none of my users except key masters can post or reply. I have been using User Role Editor in the past, any advice on how you fixed your problem?

kraigg
    Participant

@kraigg

@ovizii

How I got it working was to set the Forum Role for all existing users (non-admin) to ‘Participant’. I did this in Dashboard > Users > All Users, then found the users that had no forum roles. Once I changed these users to ‘Participant’ they were then able to post again.

To automate this process, I set ‘Participant’ as the default forum role for users. I did this in Settings > Forums
    “Default user role”: Participant
    “Auto role”: (tick) Automatically assign default role to new, registered users upon visiting the site.

However I think this problem may have been fixed in the latest bbPress

ovizii
    Participant

@ovizii

I’ve set my users to about every possible bbpress AND wordpress role and only if they are a key master can they post/reply.

HELP!

kraigg
    Participant

@kraigg

@ovizii

It could be one of your plugins that is blocking regular users from posting. I had a similar problem last month and I thought it was a bbPress problem, but it turned out to be another plugin.

If you have a production version of your website, try to deactivate all of our plugins except bbPress and User Role Editor. Also try to switch back to the default theme, just to confirm that it’s not something in your functions.php that is causing problems. What version of bbPress and WordPress are you using?

The other thing to try is to use User Role Editor to add capabilities to your Participant role, and keep adding until it fixes the posting issue. Then at least you’ll be able to pinpoint the capability that is causing the problem. But first make sure to create a backup of the Participant role so you can revert back to it.

ovizii
    Participant

@ovizii

hm, thx for the feedback, so I did this:

– all plugins off except bbpress and User Role Editor: posting worked. so now I am re-activating all plugins one-by-one to find the culprit.

The culprit is: WP Easy Uploader

http://chrisjean.com/wordpress-plugins/wp-easy-uploader/ very old but useful plugin.

btw. User Role Editor cannot edit bbpress roles as I understand they are dynamic? Not 100% about that statement but haven’t found a way to edit them.

kraigg
    Participant

@kraigg

I think you’re right about the dynamic capabilities in bbPress, but I’ve had weird situations where I’ve changed a capability in WordPress and it affects bbPress functionality (eg https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/topics-are-invisible-for-all-users-except-for-admin/#post-124896)

Good to hear you’ve found the culprit. It is quite an old plugin (over 3 years old), so it would’ve been compatible with an older version of WordPress, and most likely some of its functions have been deprecated since. Are you able to find an alternate but similar plugin?

ovizii
    Participant

@ovizii

Haven’t found anything quite similar to this plugin and I know its old, I think it has even been removed from the repository. Anyway, will need to find a similar one now 🙂

ovizii
    Participant

@ovizii

And now I had the same problem again, this time it was WP Slimstat that was incompatible and not allowing me to post/reply. BUT I had this plugin running on this site for years, yesterday I had to deactivate-reactivate all plugins to solve a problem, so maybe, if I activate these plugins BEFORE bbpress things might work out?

Viewing 8 replies - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar