Bottom

Featured Image For Forums Page?

• cclemens
    Participant

@cclemens

WordPress Version: 4.9.6
    bbPress Version: 2.5.14
    National Braille Association

When we post a link to our forums on Facebook, the link preview isn’t very attractive. In an attempt to make that appear differently on Facebook, I’ve created a ‘Featured Image’. I went in to our website to upload that image, but since there is no Page where bbPress lives on our site, I can’t find a way to apply an image to the forum as a “featured image”.

How can I make that happen?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• u_Oi
    Participant

@arutam

With follow code you can upload a featured image for forums… But if you want a good looking image on social networks I recommend you install Yoast (for example) to upload a custom image for share options.

/* Add Featured Image to bbPress Forums */
    add_post_type_support('forum', array('thumbnail'));
    function ks_forum_icons() {
    if ( 'forum' == get_post_type() ) {
    global $post;
    if ( has_post_thumbnail($post->ID) )
    echo get_the_post_thumbnail($post->ID,'thumbnail',array('class' => 'alignleft forum-icon'));
    }
    }
    add_action('bbp_theme_before_forum_title','ks_forum_icons');

Source Link

cclemens
    Participant

@cclemens

Thanks, Arutam!

I love Yoast. But, to be able to upload an image for sharing networks, doesn’t that require being able to access a URL in the Page editor? I think that’s the problem I’m having is there’s no way for me to do that. Does using this code supply that function?

And, where does the code get installed? I’m not a dev at all, so most of my knowledge is plug-and-play.

u_Oi
    Participant

@arutam

Code goes into the file functions.php that you can find on Appearance – Editor – Function.php. Open the file and paste it at the end. Just be careful because depending the theme code it can work fine or break your wordpress (if it breaks the wp just remove the code using cpanel or ftp).

The code allow you to upload featured image for bbpress forums. Then you can give it css style for a better looking.

To do this you need administrator access.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar