Skip to:

Favorites and subscription count

• Azinfiro

I’m trying to find a way to display a given user’s raw subscription or favorites count in a fashion similar to how bbp_get_user_reply_count_raw() and bbp_get_user_topic_count_raw() work.

I’ve tried to use an existing function like bbp_get_user_subscriptions() with a counter but I figure I need to query the database. I’m still learning PHP though so if anyone sees a way to do it like that then please let me know.

Thank you.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

what are you planning to count, topics, forums or both?

and if you count a forum as subscribed, do you want to count all the topics within that forum as subscribed?

the list of forums/topics subscribed to is held in usermeta under WP__bbp_subscriptions and an example would look like

so it would count a forum and a topic each as 1.

you could add a check to see which were topics and which forums and display separately.

You’d access it using a function like

$user_id = wp_get_current_user()->ID;
    $check=get_user_meta( $user_id, 'WP__bbp_subscriptions' ,false);
    some if statement here in case it's blank
    then set a counter to zero
    foreach ( $check as $count ) {
    increment the counter in here
    maybe one count if it's a topic and another if its a reply?
    then carry on to a display

Favorites are held in ‘WP__bbp_favorites’

If you want some code to display the results, look at my topic count plugin

Hope that’s sufficient to get you going to a solution, come back if you need more help

Also in terms of bbPress users can look at other users favorites:

But you cannot see other users subscriptions, only your own:

You can see your subscriptions, I cannot, you want to take this into account when showing these counts wherever you are planning on doing this so users only see their own subscription counts.

Thank you for the quick, helpful reply. Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner.

I would like to count each subscribed forum and subscribed/favorite topic but not every topic within a subscribed forum, though with a few technical exceptions.

In my case, WP__bbp_subscriptions and WP__bbp_favorites only output topics, not forums or the topics of a subscribed forum.

Fortunately, I found three functions that provide either subscribed forum ids or subscribed/favorite topic ids separately, based on a user id:

Here is my solution in the form of two custom functions. The above functions obviously made it all very simple:

// display bbPress subscription count
    function user_subscriptions_count( $user_id = null ) {
    	$topic_count = count(bbp_get_user_subscribed_topic_ids($user_id));
    	$forum_count = count(bbp_get_user_subscribed_forum_ids($user_id));
    	echo  $forum_count + $topic_count ;
    // display bbpress favorites count
    function user_favorites_count( $user_id = null ) {
    	echo count(bbp_get_user_favorites_topic_ids($user_id));

I do realize that a user’s subscribed forums and topics are usually private, but I prefer to check for permissions outside functions.

Thanks for the help, I hope this might be useful for someone in the future.

Nice, thanks for the follow up and code :)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar