Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Fatal Error on Plugin Activation

• citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

I’m running 1.0 on Media Temple’s Grid Service.

As reported earlier, every once in a while, bbPress requires the database to be “upgraded”. All my plugins are messed up (some on, some off) and the theme is switched to Kakumei Blue.

This happened again last night, but this time I am unable to activate certain plugins. When I try, I get fatal errors.

When activating bbPM, the error is:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4864 bytes) in /domains/mydomain.com/html/forums/bb-includes/backpress/functions.kses.php(104) : runtime-created function on line 1

With bb Topic Views, the error is:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 14592 bytes) in /domains/mydomain.com/html/forums/my-plugins/bb-topic-views/bb-topic-views.php on line 194

For Members Online, the error is:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 14592 bytes) in /domains/mydomain.com/html/forums/my-plugins/members-online/members-online.php on line 116

For Topics Per Page, there is a fatal error but no specifics.

For Unread Posts, the error is:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 14592 bytes) in /nfs/c04/h04/mnt/68418/domains/citizenkeith.com/html/forums/my-plugins/unread-posts/unread-posts.php on line 127

Before last night, all these plugins worked fine. Then suddenly, I had another database upgrade and they wouldn’t work. I upgraded to 1.0.1 and that didn’t help.

I am going to speak to Media Temple tech support today. Hopefully these errors can be explained and perhaps help somebody else in the future.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Wrong forum… please move to Troubleshooting.

This is the only similar error report I can find… here was a potentially helpful reply:

Last time that happened to me, it was “plugins go wild” and there were ridiculous amounts of extra entries in my meta tables in the DB. I have also seen this with bad plugins in general for whatever reason. It could also come from a bad plugin on the WP side of things if you have integration. First place I would check would be the user and site meta tables for both bbPress and WP.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/fatal-error-allowed-memory-size

Curious how your meta tables look… and if they have extra entries, which plugin is being “bad”!

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Interesting… a few weeks ago my bb_meta table was “in use” and I had to go from a backup. Perhaps I’ll give that a shot again…

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

bb_meta shows 91,014 records.

I don’t know if that is high or not. There seem to be a lot of bb attachment keys from ck’s attachments plugin.

Forum specs:

Totals

8 forums

251 topics

125895 posts (150 posts per day)

2577 tags

27 users

This forum is private and just for a handful of friends to hang out and chat. We basically run a thread until we have 1000 posts then start a new one.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

And just as I was typing this, I got the database upgrade message again when visiting the admin panel. The upgrade message:

Beginning upgradeā€¦
    Tags copied to taxonomy tables: bb_upgrade_1080
    Display names populated: bb_upgrade_1090
    Index forum_stickies dropped: bb_upgrade_1100
    >>> Done

Fourth time since last night.

Hmm, so maybe it wasn’t just “Simple Onelinelist”… there could be another problematic plugin.

What plugins are you using? And did you have these problems on 0.9?

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Plugins used:

Allow Images

Approve User Registration

bb_benchmark (autoloaded)

bb_chunk

BBcode Buttons Toolbar

BBcode Lite

bbPress Attachments

bbPress signatures

bbPress Smilies

bbPress Theme Switcher

bb Topic Views

BBVideo

Censor

Check for Updates

Hidden Forums (autoloaded)

Hidden Forums Tag Filter

Human Test for bbPress

Members Online

Move It

New User Notification Email

Post Count Plus – Dynamic.Titles & More!

Quote (Mod)

Spoiler Tags

Strike

Super Search

Topics Per Page

Unread Posts

Wiki Post

Year Long Cookies – Remember Me (autoloaded)

I didn’t have these problems when I was running .9, but when I moved to Media Temple from Dreamhost I upgraded to 1.0 RC1. I probably shouldn’t have done the upgrade at the same time.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Update: I disabled bbPress Attachments and all the other plugins were able to be activated.

I’m assuming the bbPress Attachments was being “bad”. Anything else I can test to confirm that?

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

And once again… database upgrade.

I am going to go with essential plugins only and see if there’s any difference with database upgrades.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

I have switched off all plugins except the following:

Allow Images 0.7.1

BBCode Buttons Toolbar 0.0.9

BBCode Lite 1.0.3

bbPress Smilies 0.0.8

Human Test 0.9.2

I haven’t had a problem for 24 hours. Will slowly switch on plugins until I do.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

As of yesterday, I was using the following plugins:

Allow Images 0.7.1

BBCode Buttons Toolbar 0.0.9

BBcode Lite 1.0.3

bbPress Smilies 0.0.8

Human Test for bbPress 0.9.2

Members Online 0.0.1

Topics Per Page 0.0.5

Unread Posts 0.9.3

Autoloaded:

Hidden Forums 0.0.9

Quote (mod by ck) 0.2mod

Year Long Cookes – Remember Me 0.0.2

I didn’t have a problem for days. This morning, I uploaded and activated the following:

bbPress Signatures 0.20

New User Notification Email 0.0.2

Hidden Forums Tag Filter 0.0.6

Just a few minutes ago, I tried to post to the forum, but I was logged off after hitting “Send Post” and my post didn’t make it. I then went to the admin panel and had the dreaded “Database Upgrade” message again. After upgrading, I checked my plugins. They were all fine, except Members Online,

Topics Per Page and Unread Posts were deactivated.

My guess is that there’s a problem with New User Notification Email.

Thoughts?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I sure hope you have really good backups because you are just begging to have your entire database corrupted by forcing my plugins to work with 1.0

see this part:

Beginning upgradeā€¦
    Tags copied to taxonomy tables: bb_upgrade_1080
    Display names populated: bb_upgrade_1090
    Index forum_stickies dropped: bb_upgrade_1100
    >>> Done

That’s where bbPress is trashing all your current data by copying over the old data from your 0.9 tables, like the topicmeta and old tag tables, back into bb_meta.

Yah with that big list of plugins, you really might want to consider staying on 0.9 for now…

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Yeah, it’s too late to go back now, huh? :)

Like I said, this isn’t a mission critical forum… it’s a place for my friends to chat and hang out. My other site, which is a public forum that gets decent traffic, is still on 0.9.

Just hoping my posts are helping development, and not just wasted bandwidth…

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

Quick update:

Since my forum using 1.0 is just a private forum for friends, I went ahead and installed a completely new forum using 0.9.0.6 and everything is working fine.

I kept the old 1.0 forum in another directory on my server. I turned off all the plugins and everything is working fine… no database errors, fatal errors, plugin resets, etc. When _ck_ said that my database was corrupted I was worried, because I had just noticed that some of my subforums were not accessible. However now with all plugins off, they are fine.

I’m going to sit on it and once 1.x is up to snuff with updated plugins available, I might upgrade and perhaps try to import all the old posts and threads into the newer forum. I’m in no hurry to do that though, so for now I’ll just sit on it and see what happens.

Thanks to John and _ck_ for all your help.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar