Bottom

Fatal error: During Installation

• goldfiinger

@goldfiinger

Changed my config information & followed the steps at DevLounge

Now when i try to go to the install page @

http://the3rdplace.co.uk/home/bbpress/

I get this error :

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: __() in /home/the3eco/public_html/home/bbpress/bb-includes/

default-filters.php on line 81

This is line 81 :

bb_register_view( ‘no-replies’, __(‘Topics with no replies’), array( ‘post_count’ => 1 ) );

Anyone have any advice on what i should do ?

Many thanks in advance :)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• goldfiinger

@goldfiinger

As discussed in this post https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/fatal-error-prior-to-installation?replies=10

Comma’ing out lines 81 & 82 seems to do the trick. (i hope)

But now i get 5 new Errors

As follows:

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn’t find constant BBDB_NAME in /home/the3eco/public_html/home/bbpress/bb-includes/db.php on line 58

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn’t find constant BBDB_USER in /home/the3eco/public_html/home/bbpress/bb-includes/db.php on line 59

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn’t find constant BBDB_PASSWORD in /home/the3eco/public_html/home/bbpress/bb-includes/db.php on line 60

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: Access denied for user ‘nobody’@’localhost’ (using password: NO) in /home/the3eco/public_html/home/bbpress/bb-includes/db.php on line 73

Warning: mysql_get_server_info() [function.mysql-get-server-info]: A link to the server could not be established in /home/the3eco/public_html/home/bbpress/bb-includes/db.php on line 73

Cannot select DB.

Not sure if everyone has this much trouble installing bbpress but its becoming a pain, I’m sure the information i entered in my config is correct as i just copied and pasted from the wp-config file. Don’t understand how i could have done it wrong.

Anyway if anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Did you replace BBDB_NAME with DB_NAME in config.php?

goldfiinger

@goldfiinger

Yes i’ve changed it back now and its all working fine just completed the install. :)

Only thing now is that i can’t seem to post or read the test posts that are already there.

It’s saying :

The requested URL /home/bbpress/topic/1 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

When i click on: your first topic

Or when i try to post a new topic

Any ideas ?

Correction I can post topics I just can’t view any. But it does show the new topics I’ve made. But doesn’t let me view them ?

http://the3rdplace.co.uk/home/bbpress/

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That sounds like a permalinks issue. If you change the mod_rewrite line to false in your config.php, and it works, then you know pretty permalinks are messing things up.

Should look like this when you’re done:

$bb->mod_rewrite = false;

If things work after that, then you can figure out what about your configuration is not allowing the permalinks to work.

goldfiinger

@goldfiinger

Fantastic now it works thanks for the advice!

Hey this may sound like a dumb question but what are permalinks ?

Does it matter that the Permalinks wont work ?

Thanks again :)

Have you followed the steps of How do I get Pretty Permalinks working??

goldfiinger

@goldfiinger

I haven’t tried that yet no, what are permalinks tho ? let alone pretty ones ?

Permalinks are a fixed URL for accessing the same resource.

http://example.com/blog/?page=2#post-214 for example is _not_ a permalink because page 2 will probably change and #post-214 may no longer be on it. http://example.com/blog/?p=214 _is_ a permalink because post 214 will always be at /blog/?p=214. Pretty permalinks are permalinks that don’t look dynamic: no ?, = or & in there. It looks like a bunch of directories. For example, instead of /blog/?page=2 you’d have /blog/page/2, instead of /blog/?p=214 you’d have /blog/post/214 or even /blog/2006/11/24/why-my-kittens-suck.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

What’s the difference between pretty permalinks and slugs then?

The slug is why-my-kittens-suck.

Slugs are used in pretty permalinks. That bb has two conventions, 1 and slugs, means nothing; they’re just used to denote the difference between using the topic id and the topic name in the url.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sorry, still confused. From config.php:

// Set to true if you want pretty permalinks, set to 'slugs' if you want to use slug based pretty permalinks.

So, true, false and 'slugs' are all valid. Can you show an example of a slug based permalink vs. just a pretty permalink? I understand false pretty well since that’s what my forum uses.

Thanks.

pretty permalink

/topic/12

slug-based pretty permalink

/topic/comic-sans-the-devils-font

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Thanks (I’m with you on the DIE Comic Sans DIE, as well.)

goldfiinger

@goldfiinger

I never used the comic sans in the end :)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar