Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Extended descriptions for forums?

• I want to be able to put an extended description for a forum on that forum’s page. But I don’t want this extended description to show up in the listing of forums.

In other words, what I really want is for a forum to have *three* pieces of information for it, instead of just two:

– Name

– Short description (or sub-heading, or list view description)

– Full description

Then I want to be able to use the short description where the description is currently used, and add the full description to the forum’s page.

Is there any way to do something like this, even an ugly hack?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Note: In effect, I want to “hoist” a stick post from the top of the forum’s list of topics on the forum page itself. Sticky topics are OK for some purposes, but for a permanent introduction to the forum, it’s not ideal.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You could always do it in the template files to add something to the forum page based on what forum you’re viewing. That would be OK if you have a small number of forums where you could define the extra information in the template files and not have to go back and edit or add too often.

How many different forums are we talking?

Yeah, I guess it would work for now, we only have a few forums. But I’m reluctant to put that kind of thing into the templates, where it’s hard to update, and prone to typo problems, etc., if the conditional code gets accidentally mucked up.

Is there any way to add arbitrary meta attributes to things in bbPress, the way you can add them to posts in WordPress?

It’s only possible for topics right now, but hopefully there’ll be meta for everything in the future.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar