Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Experiencing an installation problem

• Zonic Mirage
    Participant

@zonicmirage

Hello, I help run a university student organization WP site with Buddy Press. I’m getting a fatal error when trying to activate the plug-in. I’m using the latest WP, Buddy Press and trying to install the latest bbPress.

/site/folder/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 199

Fatal error: Call to undefined function bbp_get_user_role() in /site/folder/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/update.php on line 355

Because Google searches are giving me nothing, it’s rather maddening. Thanks!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

First thought is to de-activate, delete and re-install the plugin.

Come back if that doesn’t work

Zonic Mirage
    Participant

@zonicmirage

Hello. Sorry for the slow response, but I tried again. Now it’s giving me

Fatal error: fatal flex scanner internal error--end of buffer missed in /site/folders/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/topics/functions.php on line 1766

Robin W

@robin-w

possible conflict with other plugins or your theme

Try deactivating all plugins except bbPress and then add buddypress back and restest. if ok, the add other plugins back one at a time to see which is causing the conflict.

If no joy, then switch to default theme (eg twentytwelve) and see if it still is still there

Come back and let us know how you got on

Zonic Mirage
    Participant

@zonicmirage

Deactivated three plugins and tried installing bbPress and it’s still returning the error. I don’t know what to do and it’s annoying. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Zonic Mirage
    Participant

@zonicmirage

Also, I am currently using Twenty Twelve, which is a default theme. Could it have anything to do with file permissions? The server will only allow the site to function if directories and files are set in a specific way. The Buddy Press and Stop Spammers plugins haven’t had any trouble whatsoever, in either case.

Robin W

@robin-w

Could be you have a problem on your functions file – have you amended it in any way?

viz

http://johnlamansky.com/tech/php-fatal-flex-scanner-internal-error/

if not, can you post back the lines 10 either side of the line it is quoting as the problem

Zonic Mirage
    Participant

@zonicmirage

Lines 1766 to 1784. It’s a comment block, but it looks like it was closed properly.

/**
     * Handles the front end tag management (renaming, merging, destroying)
     * @since bbPress (r2768)
     * @param string $action The requested action to compare this function to
     * @uses bbp_verify_nonce_request() To verify the nonce and check the request
     * @uses current_user_can() To check if the current user can edit/delete tags
     * @uses bbp_add_error() To add an error message
     * @uses wp_update_term() To update the topic tag
     * @uses get_term_link() To get the topic tag url
     * @uses term_exists() To check if the topic tag already exists
     * @uses wp_insert_term() To insert a topic tag
     * @uses wp_delete_term() To delete the topic tag
     * @uses home_url() To get the blog's home page url
     * @uses do_action() Calls actions based on the actions with associated args
     * @uses is_wp_error() To check if the value retrieved is a {@link WP_Error}
     * @uses wp_safe_redirect() To redirect to the url
     */

Here are lines 1723 to 1764

/**
     * Fix counts on topic split
     * When a topic is split, update the counts of source and destination topic
     * and their forums.
     * @since bbPress (r2756)
     * @param int $from_reply_id From reply id
     * @param int $source_topic_id Source topic id
     * @param int $destination_topic_id Destination topic id
     * @uses bbp_update_forum_topic_count() To update the forum topic counts
     * @uses bbp_update_forum_reply_count() To update the forum reply counts
     * @uses bbp_update_topic_reply_count() To update the topic reply counts
     * @uses bbp_update_topic_voice_count() To update the topic voice counts
     * @uses bbp_update_topic_reply_count_hidden() To update the topic hidden reply
     *                                              count
     * @uses do_action() Calls 'bbp_split_topic_count' with the from reply id,
     *                    source topic id & destination topic id
     */
    function bbp_split_topic_count( $from_reply_id, $source_topic_id, $destination_topic_id ) {

// Forum Topic Counts
    	bbp_update_forum_topic_count( bbp_get_topic_forum_id( $destination_topic_id ) );

// Forum Reply Counts
    	bbp_update_forum_reply_count( bbp_get_topic_forum_id( $destination_topic_id ) );

// Topic Reply Counts
    	bbp_update_topic_reply_count( $source_topic_id      );
    	bbp_update_topic_reply_count( $destination_topic_id );

// Topic Hidden Reply Counts
    	bbp_update_topic_reply_count_hidden( $source_topic_id      );
    	bbp_update_topic_reply_count_hidden( $destination_topic_id );

// Topic Voice Counts
    	bbp_update_topic_voice_count( $source_topic_id      );
    	bbp_update_topic_voice_count( $destination_topic_id );

do_action( 'bbp_split_topic_count', $from_reply_id, $source_topic_id, $destination_topic_id );
    }

Robin W

@robin-w

Presume you are getting the fatal error as you activate the plugin.

Try copying that file to your PC (so it’s safe), and then deleting it from the plugin, and re-activate. That’ll confirm if it’s that file that has the problem, or whether the real problem is elsewhere. If it’s in that file, the plugin should activate without it, or produce an “unknown function” error rather than repeat the one you’re now getting.

Come back with the result !

Robin W

@robin-w

Which version of bbPress are you one, whilst I have your lines of code, my line 1766 of this file is in a different place than yours, and your line 1723 is my line 1700, suggesting you have extra stuff.

Might be worth you downloading a fresh version of the plugin to your pc, and cracking open this file to see if it’s the same.

Zonic Mirage
    Participant

@zonicmirage

Now I’m getting a file doesn’t exist error, so it seems to be the file having the problem.

Warning: require(/site/folders/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/topics/functions.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /site/folders/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbpress.php on line 314

Like I said, I’m running latest versions of all the systems, bbPress is the stable release 2.5.3. D:

Zonic Mirage
    Participant

@zonicmirage

I think I figured it out. Uploads are cutting off. I downloaded the file and it ENDS at line 1766. Either FTP is wonky or the server doesn’t want to play nice. It’s very odd because nothing else is suffering from this.

Thanks for your help and looks like I need to talk to my university’s IT department…

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok, Glad you at least know what the problem is !

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar