Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Error Message when trying to write replies

• Magic-Komplex
    Participant

@magic-komplex

I’m not quite sure, since when this error occurs, as I’ve been doing a lot of other stuff around this project the last days and didn’t test this functionality within a week or so, cause it actually worked in the beginning.

So when I’m trying to post a reply to a forum topic, the page reloads, the text is still shown in the text-input-form, but above this form shows an error-message saying that my reply mustn’t be empty.

The error message after trying to submit the reply

My fist attempt was to deactivate all the new plugins I installed, that didn’t help. But when I use a standard theme (twenty-ten) instead of my own adapted theme, it works, replying to forum topics is possible again.

But when it worked in the beginning, I was using my adapted theme, not the standard one. I know I made a lot of minor changes to my theme since I last tested this functionality, but unfortunately I don’t exactly remember what I’ve changed. So now I have no idea how to locate what causes the error.

BTW, this error happens to all kinds of useres, administrators as well as participants, so it cannot be a user role issue.

Can anyone help me to find out what causes this error and how to solve it please?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Magic-Komplex
    Participant

@magic-komplex

Okay, don’t need help anymore, sorry for posting this to early. I found that I added the file “form-reply.php” to my childtheme, but wasn’t sure in what purpose. It must be altered in some way, cause when I removed it, the error didn’t occur anymore. I just don’t know what it was that I altered within this file.

Hehehehe…. Developing WordPress themes, child themes, plugins can be like a rabbit warren, once you go down it it can me daunting to find your way back out ;;)

Glad you found the issue and got it sorted 🙂

Magic-Komplex
    Participant

@magic-komplex

That’s damn true! 😀
    After this experience I thought it might be better to invest some more work in the beginning by documenting each step, to have less work later on. Guess this was the revenge of laziness…

“Version Control Software” is how I ‘got it fixed’, everything I do these days is done using ‘version control’ it lets me know what I’ve done and easily roll back any changes I made to site or bbPress. 🙂

bbPress & WordPress use SVN though a real popular one is Git and GitHub https://github.com/

They have nice intro course for Git on GitHub here http://try.github.io and it does take a while to grasp all the concepts but once you do you would never go back to not using it 🙂

Magic-Komplex
    Participant

@magic-komplex

Thank you, this is really a valuable tip! 🙂 Gonna try this out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar