Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

EMAIL WON’T SEND, FROM ANYHTING

• Hey Everyone,

I have read through tons of posts with email problems…and I have still not been able to resolve the issue I’m having.

If you goto this URL, you will see that the mail test php file I put on my server works fine: http://www.crookedhook.net/forum/mailtest.php

I recieve the email and everything.

But when you try to reset your password (any user!) or just wait for EMAIL conformation about the forum. The email is never sent and it never reaches the clients address. JUNK MAIL folders are EMPTY, the mail is not getting caught up in that.

I had wordpress installed for this site, then we decided not to use wordpress and to go with BBPRESS. So basically I deleted the wordpress folder, and uploaded the BBPRESS Files. Put in my mySQL infor chaned a few things in config, so it has my email etc… and it worked! just the email isn’t!

Maybe I missed a setting or something in the setup?

Hopefully someone can help!?

Talk to you all soon!

CHEERS

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Are you using IIS 5 or 6 as the server? I started looking into it and it seems like the IIS SMTP server returns a 501 error when it receives the bbPress email. Is yours IIS? Where is the site hosted?

Olaf Lederer
    Participant

@finalwebsites

just checked his response headers:

Connection: close
    Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:47:21 GMT
    Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    X-Powered-By: ASP.NET, PHP/5.0.4
    Content-Type: text/html

200 OK

it’s a IIS webserver :D

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I suspect that IIS does not like something about the mail that’s being handed off by bbPress. Need someone with an IIS server and access to the SMTP logs that can help troubleshoot this.

Olaf Lederer
    Participant

@finalwebsites

I think that some mail headers are misformed, check the pluggable.php file in the include directory and replace the n with rn (not sure if this will help

I have no backslashes (“”) at all in my pluggable.php file :-(

However, while I have the same problem of NO OUTBOUND EMAIL when I tested, it must work sometimes because I got some new members yesterday that are posting. But I’ve got a bunch of others whose last log on was “NEVER”….hmmmm

Something is definitely wrong

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Put this in a plugin file and activate it. It’s a drop-in replacement for bb_mail() from the current trunk

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: Fix bb_mail function
    Plugin URI:
    Description: Temporary replacement for bb_mail() function
    Author: Sam Bauers
    Author URI:
    Version: 0.0.1
    */

if ( !function_exists( 'bb_mail' ) ) :
    function bb_mail( $to, $subject, $message, $headers = '' ) {
    if (!is_array($headers)) {
    $headers = trim($headers);
    $headers = preg_split('@r(?:n{0,1})|n@', $headers);
    }

if (!count($headers) || !count(preg_grep('/^from:s/im', $headers))) {
    $from = parse_url(bb_get_option('uri'));
    if ($from && $from['host']) {
    $from = trim(preg_replace('/^www./i', '', $from['host']));
    $headers[] = 'From: "' . bb_get_option('name') . '" <bbpress@' . $from . '>';
    }
    }
    $headers = trim(join("rn", $headers));

return @mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
    }
    endif;
    ?>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sam, a friend of mine tried this plugin on IIS 5.1 (Windows XP) and IIS 6 (Server 2K3) and still gets the 501 error and no mail.

Would the trunk release be different that using the plugin in any way? We can try that instead if it will do anything different.

Sam.. Can you take a look at this thread and see if there is anything you know of to fix this issue. Chrishajer has been helping me thus far and been a tremendous help. We just cannot figure out this email issue.

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/user-registration?replies=17

Sam can you refollow that thread above. The plugin did not work.. any more ideas… Would to have you additional help.. I cannot figure this out whatsoever.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

I’m out of ideas I’m afraid.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Hmm – back to the drawing board…

I am trying to think if there is a work around // using what works .. I.E wordpress. Since the passwords would be the same for both.. Maybe there is an angle I can take there.. Sign them up in wordpress and dump the new users into bbpress to edit profile/ or add the additional bbpress profile fieldsto wordpress profile edit.. Just thinking out loud..

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar