Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Editing bbpress css from dashboard?

• llaves
    Participant

@llaves

I’m sure this has been addressed the past, but I can’t find it anywhere – sorry.
    I want to edit the bbpress.css file, but I can’t find it.
    From the dashboard I select Appearance->Theme Editor, but I can’t find bbpress.css in the list of files, so this must not be the right place to look.
    So, how do I find the bbpress.css file to edit?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

I am not an expert on this, but what I do it to make a css subdirectory in my child theme. In that directory, css files should override the css in plugins (if they provide for the possibility of overrides, which bbPress does).

There are more details here: https://codex.bbpress.org/step-by-step-guide-to-setting-up-a-bbpress-forum-part-2

And here: https://codex.bbpress.org/bbpress-styling-crib/

And there are also some plugins that can do these things for you.

Robin W

@robin-w

the original file is in

bbpress\bbpress.2.6.5\bbpress\templates\default\css\bbpress.css

BUT as Mike says, you should either make changes in your theme’s CHILD theme, or copy the bbpress.css to your CHILD theme

so copy the abive file to

/wp-content/themes/%your-theme%/css/

and make changes there

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

One more thing I just thought of. Watch out for bbpress.min.css (and any other “min” files when overriding both css and javascript). These min files are compressed versions of the regular css and js files. So bbpress.min.css will will be used in preference to bbpress.css. If you want to override things without disturbing any of the files in the plugin, you’ll need to first edit bbpress.css and then generate bbpress.min.css from that. There are various tools to do this, but I only know about the ones on Linux.

As I say, if you don’t want to do any of this, there are plugins that may do the job. I think Robin makes one.

Robin W

@robin-w

yes if you don’t want the hassle of css editing, then this may well do all the css you need to change

bbp style pack

llaves
    Participant

@llaves

Thanks, but my question is can I access those files from the dashboard? I know how to edit if I log into the host server (or FTP the files, edit, and FTP them back).

llaves
    Participant

@llaves

Answering my own question –
    For the simple things, just go to Appearance->Customize. At the bottom is “Additional CSS”.
    Add your code in the editor provided.

For something more complex, including creating a child theme or editing css in the child theme (or in the original theme, against all advice from those who know), a variety of file manager plug-ins will provide access to all files in the WP installation. I picked Filester – File Manager Pro because it looked like it would provide the access I need (and it did).

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar