Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Don't

• masada
    Participant

@masada

I’m aware this is a free plugin. I understand what an enormous effort has been put in this project. But…
    People don’t use this forum for your community. It’s not even a half product. Maybe in 2-3 years but today use something else..anything but this.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

I’m sorry you feel that way. bbPress has come a long way and does a lot of things quite well. The code itself is a perfect example of exactly how to build a WordPress plugin as it follows all standards. The new trunk vs. is also a huge improvement over the current 2.1x release, so there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes.

I am aware of a number of fairly large and well known websites currently running bbpress and very happy with it, so to each his own.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It’s not even a half product. Maybe in 2-3 years but today use something else..anything but this.

Care to elaborate?

What changes in 3 years? Your previous posts show you’re interested in the theme we use here at bbPress.org. Is this still about that?

masada
    Participant

@masada

It is a prediction based on the current speed of development. It’s a personal opinion intention wasn’t to insult someone just a observation and warning to newcomers.
    Can u really build your community upon forum which lacks fundamental function like unread posts?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Warning newcomers about your opinion, or your incorrect observation?

Regarding development speed, see:

bbPress has never had unread posts in core, it’s been too complex and costly of a feature to include in core bbPress in the past. Maybe you can help implement it, and speed up the development cycles?

To more acutely answer your question, absolutely yes – you can build a community that lacks unread posts. We’ve build the entire WordPress.org ecosystem around bbPress.

Did you know the plugins API that powers the plugins pages in your WordPress dashboard is powered by bbPress? Or that the 5 million users on WordPress.org are all linked by users tables originally setup inside of a bbPress installation? Or that WordPress.org doesn’t run WordPress; it runs bbPress?

A hammer isn’t very good until you hit something with it.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

@masada there is already a fully functional “unread posts” plugin on wordpress.org, and a new one coming from a developer that I know (it approaches the problem a bit differently, so it is its own plugin instead of an extension of “Mark as Read”) should be out in a couple of days.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

@masada I’m about to release an “unread topics” plugin. Check this repository: https://github.com/zaerl/za-bbpress-unread-topics cause it will be populated soon with the files (hopefully this weekend). I’ve spent a lot of times on it cause I wanted to create the final solution for this “problem”.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar