Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Display number of subscribers of a forum

• chumtarou
    Participant

@chumtarou

Is there a way to display the number of subscribers of a forum?

Example:
    Forum ABC (32 subscribers)
    Forum 123 (150 subscribers)

The plugin “bbp topic count” shows info of a user, but I’m hoping to show the count of all users subscribed to a forum to show the popularity of each forum.

Thx in advance!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve just (today) released a new version of my “bbp topic count” plugin with a new shortcode which will show the top X users across the forums.

I’ll take a quick look to see if I can make this forum specific.

In the meantime take a look at

dashboard>settings>bbp topic count>shortcodes to see what it is and how to use it.

chumtarou
    Participant

@chumtarou

Thanks very much Robin, great plugin and look forward to your future updates.

One of the reasons we are hoping to show how many subscribers each forum has is to help market the popularity to entice more subscribers. It would be great to have the option to add the shortcode in the main forum page.

Thanks very much!

Robin W

@robin-w

@chumtarou – I’m playing with this in between paid jobs – I have topics working, but replies for a single forum is a bit more tricky.

I’ll then look at forum subscribers

I’ll be back at some stage.

Robin W

@robin-w

This is not as easy as I thought.

As a widget it can be shortcoded, but the version I currently have does need to do the calculation each time, which on a site with lots of forums and users could make the site slow.

Whereabouts on the site were you thinking of – eg in sidebar, at top of each forum, within the forum list etc.

chumtarou
    Participant

@chumtarou

Thanks in advance Robin!

In our case, we have only 5 forums and we were thinking it would be nice to show the same information available in the “Forums” section in the backend of WordPress where it displays a column of the number of subscribers for each forum.

For the frontend, we were thinking this would be the main /forums/ page. And, if it’s not too taxing on the system, to show it at the top of the individual forum page beside “Subscribe” to help suggest you to subscribe.

However, if it’s too taxing on the site to display the subscriber count, we completely understand. We assumed WordPress might already have a way to calculate it on the fly since it’s always displayed in the backend but completely understand things are not simple.

Appreciate your time in between other projects!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I’ve done a very basic version in my style pack plugin, which would let you use a shortcode in say a widget.

bbp style pack

once installed go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>shortcodes and see the last one

In our case, we have only 5 forums and we were thinking it would be nice to show the same information available in the “Forums” section in the backend of WordPress where it displays a column of the number of subscribers for each forum.

Pascals tollkit will show the number of sucsbribers in the backend as a column

bbP Toolkit

I need to do much more to do what you want for the rest.

@chumtarou, is it a public forum, so could you share the link? If not, could you send a print screen of the page with the main forum list?

chumtarou
    Participant

@chumtarou

Apologies for the delay in responding!

Thanks very much Robin for your great work – I am still working away on the site but your shortcodes and plugins are very useful. I will be sending in a donation soon. Greatly appreciated.

And thanks for asking Pascal – I’m working on an internal staff forum for an existing intranet so I won’t be able to post here, sorry.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar