Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Display contact info in public profiles

• Philumptuous
    Participant

@philumptuous

I’m using the WordPress bbpress plugin. I noticed that when I look at a profile, it only shows the bio, forum role, topics started, and replies created.

However, it allows the user to edit the profile and provide their social network links and other contact info.

It seems odd to me that it doesn’t show the contact information. What’s the point in typing that in if it’s private?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Philumptuous
    Participant

@philumptuous

I should ask: If possible, how can I display that information in the public profile (forum/users/username)?

Darren1981
    Participant

@darren1981

I’ll be looking into this myself shortly will post the answer once i work it out… If you suss it out before hand could you please post your findings, Thanks

Philumptuous
    Participant

@philumptuous

I can, but so far I have no idea. I found blogs talking about a plugin called bbsocialize, but it appears that the plugin ceases to exist.

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

This seems like a fairly easy plugin to make and I look forward to seeing it become reality.

Philumptuous
    Participant

@philumptuous

I don’t really understand PHP all that much at the moment, though I am learning. From what I do know, I was able to figure out how to display the user’s URL by making a /bbpress folder in my theme’s root and copying over the user-profile.php file. And then I added this underneath the user description section:

[sourcecode language=”php”]

<a href="”>

[/shortcode]

Though, I’m sure there must be a shorter way of turning text into a link?

Anyways, I wasn’t able to find any function for the other fields under ‘Contact Info,’ which makes me wonder if those are coming up under some other plugin.

Philumptuous
    Participant

@philumptuous

Edit: I have no idea how to display code. Sorry. And it won’t let me edit my post.

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

[solution removed because I have no clue on how to provide code examples]

Philumptuous
    Participant

@philumptuous

🙂 …our progress has been thwarted by our inability to communicate.

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

Let’s try this again…

Open up the following PHP document in the bbPress plugin, found at –

bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/user-profile.php

Using the AIM field as an example, add the following –

`
    `

Now you probably shouldn’t alter these files, as the next time bbPress is updated, the update will overwrite this. You’ll need to make a copy of the file under your theme directory. So it should look like this –

yourTheme/bbpress/user-profile.php

Philumptuous
    Participant

@philumptuous

That’s exactly what I did but I couldn’t figure out how to display more than the user’s url. Your code doesn’t show up still so I don’t know how you got the AIM field to show.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar