Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

disable front end editing

• cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

Front end editing is basically disabled, because if someone clicks “edit my profile,” it goes to their name.

However, if someone finds their name under the freshness column, and clicks it, they can edit their profile. How do I make it so they can only edit it in the back end, and that tiny edit button when their viewing their profile does not come up?

Best,
    JB

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Not sure why you only want editing in the backend. Indeed I’m not sure why you want anyone to have access to the backend at all, apart from admins !

However presuming that you actually just want no-one to change their profiles

You will need to modify
    wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/user-details.php

make a copy of this file, and put in in a directory called bbpress within your theme, so you end up with
    wp-content/%your-theme-name%/bbpress/user-details.php

The take out lines 63-69

<li class="<?php if ( bbp_is_single_user_edit() ) :?>current<?php endif; ?>">
    						<span class="bbp-user-edit-link">
    							<a href="<?php bbp_user_profile_edit_url(); ?>" title="<?php printf( esc_attr__( "Edit %s's Profile", 'bbpress' ), bbp_get_displayed_user_field( 'display_name' ) ); ?>"><?php _e( 'Edit', 'bbpress' ); ?></a>
    						</span>
    					</li>

<?php endif; ?>

This will stop any front end editing

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

well, the reason, is because when one tries to click edit my profile, it goes to the backend. is there a way to get that to go to the front end?

Robin W

@robin-w

hmm, can you post a link or some screenshots?

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

Well, the easiest way is to let me walk you through it.

1. Go to the website http://www.astronomertalk.com.
    2. Log in. 1 click registration
    3. go to top left and hover mouse over name.
    4. On open down menu click edit my profile.
    5. your on the backend.

too access your profile on the front end,

1. make a post or reply
    2. click your name from there.
    3. your on the front end.

The reason I want to disable on of them is because obviously we do not need two. I am ok with disabling back end, but I would like to fix the update profile button which you will see is messed up.

Best,
    JB

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

also the private message plugin utilizes the backend, not sure if it can be used on the front end.

The reason your user profiles are not working as they should is the same reason I posted in the other topic here.

Something is ‘not quite working right’ with your theme and causing weird things to happen with your templates.

By fixing your theme and templates your users should then be able to click their username from any location and if logged in will be able to see the ‘Edit’ link on their profile and then edit their profile on the front end.

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

ok, but I am a bit confused. How do I make a copy of my page.php..

See the link Robin posted in the other topic or here it is.

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

Hi Stpephen,

So I followed the directions and took the template-full-width.php, and moved it to my new child theme called “awesome,” but it did not help. Now the forum specific sidebar is gone, plus when one clicks edit my profile it still brings them to the backend of the site.

Need help of this,
    Thanks,
    JB

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

I also renamed it to bbpress.php

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

I have switched it back now because I have not recieved a responce and want to keep the forum looking the same. However, still looking for the fix…

Looks like when you click edit my profile it goes to –>

http://www.astronomertalk.com/wp-admin/profile.php

when you click your name in a thread it goes to –>

http://www.astronomertalk.com/forums/users/USERNAME/

Best,
    JB

Indeed it would have helped and by switching back you have enabled the error to occur again, redo what you did and then create a new topic and include the source code of your bbpress.php file and the name and link of the theme you are using and we can help get your sidebar back.

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

The only reason I would be a bit concerned to do it again is because my sidebar is fine for now, but if I switch it, then all my users would be confused for the few day while we figure it out. Also whats my source code?

Sorry, I am new to this,

JB

If you don’t switch you will constantly have the same issues you are asking us how to fix.

You should implement that same fix again and yes, it will cause issues with your sidebar but you should find that your other issues will be fixed.

What I meant by ‘Source Code’ is to include the contents of the bbpress.php in your new topic, copy and paste it into your topic and surround that ‘source code’ using the code toolbar button on the topic form..

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

ok, ill give it a try. Obviously I would rather have the forum sidebar because thats important, hopefully we can fix it quick.

Will post soon,
    JB

cybarmitzvah
    Participant

@cybarmitzvah

Ok, I have switched it back to my child theme and called it bbpress.php

I’ve also found that by doing it, the edit my profile button still goes to the backend, even for a user

What should I do next, I am a bit lost.

Thank You,
    JB

Create new topic and per my previous replies, and include the name of the theme. You are using and include the source code of the contents of the bbpress.php file you created.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.