Categories
Search
Bottom

Different Sidebar for the Forums

• Herophantom
    Participant

@herophantom

Hello,
    So I just started using bbpress over the weekend and so far I’m really liking it. There is only one issue I’m having that I can’t seem to figure out. I am using this plugin:

Custom Sidebars Pro

to allow me the function of different sidebars for different pages. It has worked perfectly for 90% of the forums pages except for the top level forum page. That is the only one that I can’t seem to get to use a sidebar other then the default one. At the moment, what I have done is manually made a page with the same slug as the top level forum page, left it blank except for the option that this other plugin enables to change the sidebars. Have a look at it here:
    http://www.mythechllc.com/forums
    if you look at the public forums page, you will see the side bar is what I want it to be, but if you look at the top level forums page, it reverts back to the default.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress will use the default page template for the main index rather than the specific page template set in the page – so your setting in the forum page won’t apply.

There are several ways around this, but as your plugin is a paid one, I can’t see the code to recommend the best solution.

So first off I’d post a query onto their support site

Outstanding Support

they probably have come across bbpress before and will know the answer. You could tell them that bbpress uses ‘is_bbpress()’ to see if it is a bbpress page, that might help them.

Herophantom
    Participant

@herophantom

Thank you.

I would also like to update, so after reading some more last night, I found the documentation on the short codes. I tried making a dedicated page and using the short codes to load the main forum index. Now this works in almost every way, including using the proper sidebar that I want, however, the search option at the top is now off set, with the button below the bar instead of next to it. I have been fiddling with the CSS for awhile to see if I can get it to align properly, but so far no luck. And now, even the page provided by the bbpress plugin is doing the same thing. So maybe I messed something up, or maybe I’m just missing something, but if I can get this solved, I will have a perfect solution.

Robin W

@robin-w

the link to your site no longer works fro me – so I can’t see the issue

Herophantom
    Participant

@herophantom

So another update:
    The bossman wasn’t liking the layout that bbpress uses and insisted on using a different forum plugin. So, I’m very sorry to have wasted any of your time, but I appreciate your quick response and helpfulness, I will defiantly keep bbpress on hand for future projects.

Robin W

@robin-w

Hey no problem !

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar