Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Desperatly in need help with newbie problems!

• I have a blog with the Suffusion-theme on wich I just installed bbpress. I don’t need a fancy theme for bbpress.

* Created a new page for the forum (blablabla.com/Forum)

* Set up all the forums/subforum etc.

* Used the shortcode for showing the forum = [bbp-forum-index]

Things looks okey so far! Now I want to remove the sidebars from the forum (not the page, I know how to do that) and I have read a couple of tutorials but still don’t get it.

I don’t want to use a theme or childtheme, I want the forum to have the same coloring etc. as the Suffusion theme I use. So where do I remove the sidebars?

I have removed <?php get_sidebar(); ?> from:

* single-forum.php

* single-topic.php

* single-reply.php

as described in another thread in here. I changed this in mypage.com/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten

But I don’t use that theme. I use NO theme. So where do I remove the sidebars?

Please let me know what I’m doing wrong here! :)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Another thing; can I apply a theme on bbpress that doesn’t affect the rest of my blog? Like Suffusion for the blog, Twenty Ten for bbpress?

Thanks!

I changed this in mypage.com/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten

But I don’t use that theme. I use NO theme. So where do I remove the sidebars?

Hi, AFAIK every bbPress usage always use ‘bbPress default theme’ located within …/wp-contentpluginsbbpressbbp-themesbbp-twentyten folder (except you integrated it with your WordPress theme or you are using custom theme already).

So you are using ‘bbPress theme’ already and there are no sidebars within that default theme. Sidebars if from your WordPress theme, that you should edit.

Things looks okey so far! Now I want to remove the sidebars from the forum (not the page, I know how to do that) and I have read a couple of tutorials but still don’t get it.

Some theme have page template to display ‘full width page’, you must choose it. If your theme don’t have it try create it.

Here are sample of page using shortcode [bbp-forum-index]

-> http://themescommunity.com/forums-index/

I’m newbie too!

Thanks alot for helping me out!

I have removed <?php get_sidebar(); ?> in the .php’s within …/wp-contentpluginsbbpressbbp-themesbbp-twentyten folder, but as you say, that’s not where I should be looking.

The thing is that I want to keep my sidebars on the rest of the blog so I don’t want to remove them in my wp-theme (Suffusion). Is there a way to remove the sidebars from the forum part of my blog, but keep them on the other pages?

Thanks again!

carlybizdrive

@carlybizdrive

You want a professional web developer or web designer to help you then joined http://www.bizdrive.biz/ and find some professional web developer or web designer.

I’m not using Suffusion theme, so I not really sure if Suffusion have full-width page template. Do they have it?

How about trying to create empty page or with some dummy content and publish it. Do the published page have sidebar?

If yes, try change page template to ‘full-width’. If you don’t have it, post here just maybe I can help you create it. I will find Suffusion theme later, it’s free isn’t it?

If no, then you should be okay. Just replace the dummy content with shortcode.

I’m not sure I’m getting you. If I’m creating a new page I can chose “No Sidebars” as template, which I have done for the page where I’ve put my bbpress shortcodes (myblog.com/forum) That page looks fine.

The problem is when I click on a topic or whatever on that page and gets taken to another page. Like myblog.com/forums/forum/topic/

Then the sidebars show up.

Did I just answer your question? :)

I really appreciate that you’re taking your time to answer me!

Please don’t give up on me yet :)

I’m not sure I’m getting you. If I’m creating a new page I can chose “No Sidebars” as template, which I have done for the page where I’ve put my bbpress shortcodes (myblog.com/forum) That page looks fine.

Yes, that what I meant and you already do that.

The problem is when I click on a topic or whatever on that page and gets taken to another page. Like myblog.com/forums/forum/topic/

Then the sidebars show up.

Its using another page template that I will describe later if you can provide me the content of “No Sidebars” page template. It will be modified to suit another template for use in bbPress.

Did I just answer your question? :)

I really appreciate that you’re taking your time to answer me!

Please don’t give up on me yet :)

For your notes, English was not my mother language. I’m Indonesian and I do love to help, since it took my two days to understand bbPress (and I still confused a lots) and able to start my own forum site. I browse this forum, since this is the only help available.

More explanation..

Your forums_index page is located at myblog.com/forum and displayed full-width or no sidebar. That is what you want and displays perfectly.

But when you accessing a topic or reply it will show sidebar, it happen due each forum specific page is using specific ‘page template’ that belong to bbPress theme.

Here example:

myblog.com/forums – default forums will using ‘single-forum.php’ page template

myblog.com/forum – your custom page that you use now (in my case I create custom template ‘page-forum-home.php’ to show page without sidebar. On your case just using ‘No Sidebar’ template page)

But when you browse into (forum)

myblog.com/forums/forum/general/ – it will using ‘single-forum.php’ page template

When you browse more (topic)

myblog.com/forums/topic/rules-and-ethics/ – it will using ‘single-topic.php’ page template

And that also applies when you edit something or doing something else, it will use different page template that belong to bbPress theme.

How to solve this?

I want you to understand that your WordPress theme (not bbPress theme) have page templates, such as

page.php - default page
    page-full.php - page to show full width or no sidebar
    page-blog.php
    page-contact.php
    page-gallery.php
    page-login.php
    page-search.php
    page-sitemap.php
    page-template-portfolio.php
    etc ... (the number varries and depend on each WP theme)

You need to copy page-full.php or whatever page to show full width or no sidebar content (html and php styles) and replace (about 75%) for your others bbpress theme.

That what I going to by owning your the content of “No Sidebars” page template of yours.

So your forum will display the same layout and styles.

Your english is fine dude! I’m from Sweden myself.

This is Suffusion’s template “no-sidebars.php”:

<?php
    /**
    * Template Name: No Sidebars
    * @package Suffusion
    * @subpackage Templates
    */

get_header();
    ?>

<div id="single-col">
    <?php
    suffusion_page_navigation();
    suffusion_before_begin_content();
    ?>
    <div id="content">

<?php
    global $post;
    if (have_posts()) {
    while (have_posts()) {
    the_post();
    $original_post = $post;
    ?>
    <div <?php post_class('fix'); ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
    <?php suffusion_after_begin_post(); ?>
    <div class="entry-container fix">
    <div class="entry fix">
    <?php suffusion_content(); ?>
    </div><!--/entry -->
    <?php
    // Due to the inclusion of Ad Hoc Widgets the global variable $post might have got changed. We will reset it to the original value.
    $post = $original_post;
    suffusion_after_content();
    ?>
    </div><!-- .entry-container -->

<?php suffusion_before_end_post(); ?>
    <?php comments_template(); ?>
    </div><!--/post -->
    <?php
    }
    }
    ?>
    </div>
    </div>
    <?php get_footer(); ?>

After I seeing above source code, I think that my previous method (that I would like to suggest you) won’t be working as suppose.

So I download the Suffusion theme, trying on my Xampp and found simple answer. You just need to deactivate ‘Sidebar Layout’ into 0 (Zero).

Go to your site at

yoursite.com/wp-admin/themes.php?page=suffusion-options-manager&tab=theme-options-sidebars-and-widgets.php

You will have a sidebar layout options, try change the default views into 0 (Zero) or no sidebar at all. You can still manage others to have sidebar(s), just find another related options.

Default Views

The theme is set up with one sidebar (a two-column theme) by default. You could choose to have two sidebars (a three-column theme) or none if you want. Unless otherwise overridden in the subsequent options, this will be applied to your entire blog.

0 (Zero) -> choose this

1 (One)

2 (Two)

The save by clicking Save page ‘Sidebar Layout’

Suffusion is way to complex for code modification, and I hope above method working as suppose, since it work on my localhost.

Hit me if you still have trouble!

That got the forum looking like I want it, but my mainpage is not a “page” so I can’t find where to chose another template for it?

For the other pages I just chose a template with left and right sidebar and they looked as before.

So, just the startpage is messed up now :) Any ideas?

I just wasted an hour of experimenting with turning my homepage/blogpage into a static page, creating categories etc. Then I realised that the setting amount of sidebars on blogpage was just underneath the setting you just reffered to…..

Thanks again man! Things are just like I want them! :)

On last thing that I would like to know:

Is it possible to have one theme on the blog, pages etc. and another theme for the forum?

I might want to download a template for the forum but I don’t want the whole blog to use that theme.

<p align=”center”>Flacco Delivers Mission Statement </p>

<p>Baltimore Ravens’ quarterback said "We came out and we attacked today, I always think to myself, look at the top teams in this league. What are they? They’re passing teams. Can they run the ball? Yeah, but they really throw the ball very well and run the ball off of that.” </p>

<p>Joe Flacco was also fired up. As the Baltimore Ravens played just throwing and throwing again, running it only 26 times out of 76 snaps, generating a franchise record 553 yards of offense.

He delivered what amounted to his version of a mission statement for the offense. In the minutes after the Ravens’ 37-7 win Sunday in St. Louis.</p>

<p>He said the the goal is not just playoffs.but get to the Super Bowl. They have to have that kind of offense.They are doing what they were should to do against a winless St. Louis team likely going nowhere in 2011.</p>

<p>Flacco is certainly onto something with his comments about the NFL becoming a passing league.Everyone knows it has been trending that way, but the number of 300-yard passing games is skyrocketing in 2011. There have already been 34 across the league in the first three weeks, easily surpassing the previous high total of 21.</p>

<p>Because of that, the Ravens almost have to develop more of a pass-first mindset in the mold of the Packers, Saints and other top contenders.

Of course The problem is they have always been a pounding, run-first team, and when their ground game declined in 2010, they stated that fixing it was their No. 1 priority for 2011. You don’t re-sign Marshal Yanda and bring in Vonta Leach, Bryant McKinnie, Andre Gurode and Ricky Williams strictly to bolster your pass protection.</p>

<p>On Monday when asked about the aggressive mission statement his quarterback delivered Sunday. Harbaugh smiled and said "Would you want your quarterback not saying that? He probably wants to throw every single time. That’s what you expect from your quarterback,” </p>

<p>As well Harbaugh said “His mission statement was "stuff he expressed to me coming into the game, We all agree with that. I agree with that. Cam agrees with that he is our quarterback. He has an impact on how we think. He should."</p>

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar