Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Deleting ‘Allowed Markup’ info below posting field

• Hopefully this is an easy one for somebody. I couldn’t find the word ‘markup’ in any of the files I searched and was hoping that would lead me to the solution.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

You didn’t mention what version you’re using, but it’s in your template files edit-form.php and post-form.php, at least. Look in those files for the word “markup” and you’ll find it.

Got around to trying this in version 0.9.0.2 / template: bbOrg

I didnt see those files you mentioned but searched a bunch of files and all I found was this strip of code in the includes/template-functions.php file:

function allowed_markup( $args = '' ) {
    echo apply_filters( 'allowed_markup', get_allowed_markup( $args ) );
    }

// format=list or array( 'format' => 'list' )
    function get_allowed_markup( $args = '' ) {
    $args = wp_parse_args( $args, array('format' => 'flat') );
    extract($args, EXTR_SKIP);

$tags = bb_allowed_tags();
    unset($tags['pre'], $tags['br']);
    $tags = array_keys($tags);

switch ( $format ) :
    case 'array' :
    $r = $tags;
    break;
    case 'list' :
    $r = "<ul class='allowed-markup'>nt<li>";
    $r .= join("</li>nt<li>", $tags);
    $r .= "</li>n</ul>n";
    break;
    default :
    $r = join(' ', $tags);
    break;
    endswitch;
    return apply_filters( 'get_allowed_markup', $r, $format );
    }

Would that get rid of the markup stuff underneath the posting area WITHOUT disrupting my BB Code Buttons functionality?

Thanks!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If you just want to delete the display of the information below the post form, don’t remove that from a core file. What you want to do does not require any modification of core files. Stay out of there.

You want to be in a template folder, by default bb-templates/kakumei/ but if you created a custom template, you may have a my-templates/yourtemplatename/. In that folder, there should be a file post-form.php and edit-form.php. In the 0.9.0.2 version, you want to look at

./edit-form.php line 19

/post-form.php line 31

Those lines contains the code to display “Allowed markup” below the post form. Remove that line completely and the text will no longer appear under your post form. Remove it in edit-form.php as well, and it won’t appear below that form either.

If you don’t have those files in your template, or those lines in your template files, then I don’t know what to say. That’s where the text comes from in a stock installation.

Thanks! I got it.

I guess I didnt understand how it all works. So Kakumei is a theme and these various ‘templates’ are just extensions that work off of it rather than their own themes.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

No.

Kakumei is a theme (WordPress terminology) or a template (bbPress terminology) and controls the display of the content on your site. Any modifications you make to your site should be done in these template files, never in the core. Changing core files makes it hard to upgrade to newer releases: you lose your changes with every upgrade. So, if you make the changes in a template file, you can maintain them between releases.

Also, by default, the stock kakumei theme is used and it’s in the bb-templates directory. I recommend creating a new directory called my-templates (if it’s not there already) at the same level as bb-templates. So, in a directory listing, they’d be at the same level. Then, inside there, create a directory called mytheme or some other name that is descriptive for your forum. This directory name does not matter. (The my-templates one DOES matter.)

Now that you have a my-templates directory, and inside that a new directory with a name you choose, copy everything from inside the bb-templates/kakumei/ directory to this new directory you created. Then, open up style.css and change the header to give this new template a unique name on line two. You will see this there:

Theme Name: Kakumei

Change that to “Theme Name: My Cool New Theme” or whatever you want. Then refresh your admin panel, and you will see a new theme. You can change the rest of the lines in that header as well, to things that are meaningful to you. Be sure not to modify the text before the colon, just change the text after, to your values.

Now, modify the php and css files in this directory to change the look of your forum. You can switch back and forth between themes here. If you break something, just choose the default theme until you fix the one you were working on.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar