Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Default Template not working for forum page

• icandygraphics
    Participant

@icandygraphics

I am using a customized child theme, which has a default layout with a sidebar. My activity, members, and register pages are all using the default template of my child theme, and the sidebar is showing. I am having trouble with the forums page, though. If I add a page called “Forums”, select the default template, insert the shortcode [bbp-forum-index], and add the page to my menu, it looks great and has the sidebar. However, if I put “forums” as the Forums Base slug, then the page goes to full-width content with no sidebar. If I put “forum” as the slug, the page looks good, but as soon as you use the breadcrumbs to navigate, it takes you to http://www.example.com/forum, which has the full-width content. I think it might have something to do with the template hierarchy, but I don’t know enough about that to figure this out. Can anyone help?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

I think I saw a similar problem to this on the forums recently.

A page called “Forums” and having your base slug as “Forums” will conflict with each other. If you visit yoursite.com/forums and your forum base slug is set to /forums it takes you to the archive and not the page.

Check out the post and see if it helps, be warned I didn’t read it 100% through

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/how-do-i-use-the-bbp-single-forum-idforum_id-shortcode-in-a-template-file

Good luck!

icandygraphics
    Participant

@icandygraphics

Thank you Lynq. I knew that I was having a conflict between my archive page and my page that I created called “Forums.” What I really want to do is add a sidebar to my archive page, but I am confused as to why it doesn’t already have one. I tried copying the file bp-themes/bp-default/archive.php into my child theme and adding

<?php

/*

Template Name: Archive

* @package BuddyPress

* @subpackage Theme

*/

but it still isn’t using that as the template for my archive page. Any thoughts?

icandygraphics
    Participant

@icandygraphics

I figured out that bbpressbbp-includesbbp-extend-genesis.php forces full-width content if you are using a Genesis theme or child theme. I changed the full-width-content to content-sidebar in that file, and now all my archive pages have a sidebar. I know I’m not supposed to just edit the files and save them back to the same location, though. Where should I put my version for my child theme?

FYI about Genesis theme compatibility.

When you do decide to upgrade to bbPress 2.1 you will need to use a plugin.

Genesis compatibility was removed from bbPress 2.1 and is now wrapped in a plugin (below). The plugin also provides some other fixes the 2.0.x compatibility doesn’t.

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-genesis-extend/

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar