Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Default Custom Fields in New Topic

• gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Hey friends I am very much a noob when it comes to BBpress so apologies if this question has been asked before, I have searched the support forum and Googled a whole bunch but to no luck.

I am planning the development strategy for my client’s new website and they have requested a product review forum on the website so customers can review their products on the forum. So my question to you is, is there a way to add by default some review fields in the text editor of the Topic that the user has to complete to display at the top of the topic before posting it? There will be other Forums so it would only need to be on this particular Forum. So for example…

The forum is on say laptops they retail, so the review fields would be laid out similarly to below for example
    Brand:
    Spec:
    RAM:
    Graphics:
    then below would be their description of the laptop.

WordPress version: 6.5.3
    BBpress version: 2.6.9
    No site as yet, it’s still in the planning stage but this is my site.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Thank you so much, I will have a look.

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

That is pretty much what I need, thank you again!

How do I set these fields to only display on 1 forum and not globally, I would guess it would be by targeting the required forum ID but I am not sure how to achieve that. Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

give me a day or 2 and I should have a solution for you

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

That’s amazing, thank you!

Robin W

@robin-w

I’m in testing phase, but will need one more day.

It will go as a solution in the next update of my style pack plugin, which I’ll release as soon as I’ve done.

Robin W

@robin-w

So if you are already using my style pack plugin, the new version 6.0.3 contains a new tab for ‘Topic Form Additional Fields’

If you haven’t then install

bbp style pack

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>Topic Form Additional Fields

and you’ll see how to set up and style additional fields.

The plugin has lots more useful features as well

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Thank you so much it’s exactly what I need and yes your plugin was one of the first I installed 🙂 Thank you again.

Robin W

@robin-w

That’s great to hear, it is a useful addition to my plugin, so thanks for making me think about how to do it.

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Happy to be of assistance 🙂

Is there a way to display the custom field entries in the text area of the topic post?

Robin W

@robin-w

no sorry that would not work, as the user can just delete the labels etc. and a placeholder would be too easily overwritten

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

That is true, What about above or below the text area is that possible?

Robin W

@robin-w

can you just confirm this is on the form that they complete not the topic display – yes?

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Yes, the completed fields should display above the text area once the topic has been submitted, they do not have to be in the text area.

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, I can’t see a way to do this, they are either above or below

http://gos.rewweb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/Screenshot-2024-06-05-170150.png

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Ok so I have the custom fields set to be above the text area when the user creates a new forum review. So once the user has filled out the custom fields, and written their review in the text area, and clicked submit to post the review, The information filled out in the custom fields should display either above or below the text area with the review in it so future customers can see what rating/review the product was given.

I hope this makes sense 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

not sure what you mean – this is not you explaining it badly, just that words are not the best medium.

Any chance of an image with an X where you want the fields?

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Ok I see what is happening. In your plugin on the custom fields tab you have an example image of what the forum topic would look like with the custom fields which is exactly how I would like it but the custom field content is not showing at all once the topic has been posted.

Example in the plugin – https://geekdimm.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/example-01.jpg

My result – https://geekdimm.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/example-02.jpg

Thank you so much for your assistance so far 🙂

On another note, I think I may have found a bug as well. While problem solving this issue I created new custom fields and tried to apply them to another forum via the ID. I then tested those fields on submitting a new topic but it gave an error that not all the required fields were completed and was referring to the original custom fields I created for the review forum.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so have you tried all 3 settings?

Show fields above the topic
    Show fields above the topic content
    Show fields below the topic content

and do any show?

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

I have yes, Also created a new topic for each of the 3 settings but nothing showed.

Robin W

@robin-w

found and fixed bug, will be in the next release, I’ll hold for a day to see if I need to fix your display issue above as well

Robin W

@robin-w

ok are you ok with browser developer tools – if so take a look and see if the words and in the html, but just not displaying.

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

I did have a look but cant see any of the words, see attached.
    https://geekdimm.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/example-03.jpg

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so can you (as a test) take out the Forum no.s from all fields in the settings, so we eliminate forum restrictions from the display part

gdj13
    Participant

@gdj13

Have removed all Forum ID’s and created a new topic and set them to the
    Show fields above the topic
    Show fields above the topic content
    Show fields below the topic content

But nothing showing, only what is written in the text area.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar