Categories
Search
Bottom

Dedicated Moderator ID changed

• ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

Hello,

we create our WordPress accounts using a mail address as the username (not the best idea but I wasn’t admin at decision moment) and it is used as user ID in WP.

When I try to add such an ID as moderator of a specific forum, the ID is changed: the “.” is replaced by a dash “-” and the “@” is simply removed.
    As a result, the moderator doesn’t receive any notification.

Not sure bbPress is the problem or again due to one of our plugins.

Just let me know if that problem is known or not at bbPress…

Thanks for your support

Eric Collart

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I am not certain, but on save a function is run that includes the wordpress function ‘sanitize_text_field’ which may well be stripping the @

what the code does is to try and find out the user_id of the name entered, and then passes this to

bbp_add_moderator( $forum_id, $user_id );

If I am guessing that this is not something you need to do too often, you could do it programatically if you know how?

in essence there are 2 functions

bbp_add_moderator( $forum_id, $user_id );
    bbp_remove_moderator( $forum_id, $user_id );

ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

Well,

you are now way too deep for me but I understand bbPress could be causing that…

I will deploy a test WP site with only bbPress and Private group plugin and see how it behaves for my 2 opened questions…

This can take a day or two…

Thanks a lot for support !

Eric Collart

ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

Well,

I got time this evening (Belgium time).

The problem described here is caused by bbPress; reproduced on a deafault install of WP with only bbPress as plugin.

That’s an annoying one because you cannot change user ID in WordPress and I have 250 accounts.

I hope we can find some solution or workaround …

Eric Collart

Robin W

@robin-w

so how many users do you want as moderators in how many forums?

rough idea of numbers 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

I would add that having email addresses as user nice names is highly unusual given that it publicly gives everyone’s email addresses out, so suspect was not considered by the plugin authors

ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

I fully agree on your last remark but it was done like that long before I started managing that site !

I want ideally to set 1 to 4 moderators max per forum (all with same @domain.com in their ID)

I’ll check deeper if any way to change/migrate user ID in WordPress but it looks not easy…

Eric Collart

Robin W

@robin-w

let me take a look at a method that might let you add their ID’s

ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

I just found a plugin named Easy Username Updater allowing an admin to change the username and even having a checkbox to send a mail to updated user but user never got the mail. It seems to work on my test site but gave an error when trying to login… Do not use that one !

A second plugin named Username Changer is working without any error and the mail is sent (if selected). This one works like a charm !

I explore this method because all moderators are from my company so I can update and inform them without disturbing customers…

I’ll test that on my production site and let you know the result.

Eric Collart

ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

I can’t use Username Changer as well because WordFence considers this as an attack and login try from non-existing user ! I reported that to WordFence forum.

So I have no solution and workaround for now !

Eric Collart

Robin W

@robin-w

This is very quick and dirty, but should achieve what you want.

add-moderator-by-id

If you want something more than this it would be paid work – contact me via http://www.rewweb.co.uk/

ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

hello,

huge thanks for your efforts here !!!!

I’ll test your quick & dirty proposal and let you know

Eric Collart

ecollart
    Participant

@ecollart

Hello,

Sorry for the delay but I finally I tried your add_moderator_by_id and it seems to work but I cannot test mail notification for the moment and I can’t see the moderator added on the forum list.

But I need to say that in that list, the “-” displayed in moderator column is not there for those I tested with your code…

I will do more test probably next week…

Eric Collart

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, but it is over 2 month since I looked at this, and I have no memory of what I did or what I wrote. If you can’t make the effort to test promptly free stuff other people write for you, then my enthusiasm to get re-engaged with this is very low 🙁

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar