Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Custom profile fields

• I am having an issue getting custom profile fields to work.

I have used the following code as a wordpress plugin and a bbPress plugin:

function set_my_profile_info_keys($myarray) {

$myarray = array(

‘testfield’ => array(0, __(‘TestField’))

);

return $myarray;

}

add_filter(‘get_profile_info_keys’, ‘set_my_profile_info_keys’);

However this doesn’t show the field on a users profile to allow them to edit it. I have also tried other variations of this code I have found on this forum and others but to no avail.

Any help getting this working would be much appreciated.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• thetalltree

@thetalltree

I have been trying to figure this out for months now without much luck. To the point that I am planning to shift to some other forum software.

It would be nice if someone could explain in proper/simple steps as to how you can add custom profile fields?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

bbPress uses WordPress’s user profiles code, so any new fields you add to the dashboard profile (with a plugin or otherwise) should be mirrored in the theme. If you need an easy GUI to create profile fields, try BuddyPress.

There are a bunch of examples on how to do this with WordPress. Follow those instructions and you should be fine.

They aren’t mirrored and if the extra fields are manually added into the theme then on update they aren’t set. I have looked through a lot of the bbPress files and can’t work out where I should add some custom code so on user profile update it will also update the custom entries I added.

Any help would be much appreciated.

What code are you using to register the extra field in user profiles? If it’s not showing up it’s likely not correct.

It’s not “incorrect”. Its just not “complete”. I am using Cimy Extra User Fields, I changed forum-user-edit.php to include the new field. I then set the field in the admin panel with a value which is being populated correctly however I was unable to find the function where all the information is being saved in bbPress when “Update User” is being clicked so I cant put in the code needed to save the Cimy fields.

Ah ok, well the problem is using Cimy Extra User Fields. It’s a great plugin but if I recall correctly it doesn’t use WP’s usermeta system, so the traditional way of getting it to work with bbPress profiles might not work.

Do you know of one that does work? Maybe even include the steps that are needed?

Thanks.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar