Categories
Search
Bottom

Creating a Forum for Magazine Site

• Torsten8579
    Participant

@torsten8579

Hello dear bbpress team and community! πŸ™‚

I would like to create and run a forum on our magazine site (http://www.1-2-family.de). Of course my first choice is bbpress.

The thing is, that I would like to separate the whole database (for security and speed reasons?) from the ones of the magazine. So I thought to create a subfolder (or a subdomain?) to install a second instance of wordpress. And then fill it with the same theme of the magazine all needed plugins (such as bbpress) to just run the community (forum) on this subfolder (or subdomain).

Would this be a good choice? I just dont’t want anybody beeing able to register in to the wordpress system, where the magazine is running. It’s just a weird feeling to me …

Warmest regards πŸ™‚
    Torsten

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Guten Morgen Torsten,

My doubt was on the double users you would have, but if (except the admins) nobody else has a current account, then you won’t have that issue.

You could go for a separate WordPress and bbPress installation, but… :
    Speed: If you put both on the same physical machine, inside the same shared account or on the same SQL behind, then you will not gain, you might even loose as you have 2 WordPress instances running
    Security: Over the years the security of WordPress has increased a lot and if you are careful with plugins and custom installs, I don’t see why an extra instance would be needed.

I would like to add the burden of having to update 2 WordPress instances with anyway the same version, theme, customizations, …

But of course it’s your choice !

Let’s see if other have a different opinion,
    freundliche Grüße,
    Pascal.

Torsten8579
    Participant

@torsten8579

Hi there and “guten Morgen” Pascal,

thank you for thoughts! πŸ™‚

A few minutes ago I was reading an article about the multisite feature of wordpress. I of course heard about that in the past. But never really thought about it in deep …

What I don’t understand is, if I would try to build a forum as a “subsite” with the multisite ability, if users, who register on the “subsite” would be also registered on the mainsite? … I don’t get it πŸ˜‰

Best regards and “Liebe Grüße” ! πŸ™‚
    Torsten

Hi,
    To be honest, I tend not to use MU except for testing. The network activation of plugins (so push and activate them to all the subsites) is nice, but not all plugins are ready to be used like that. But I more see it like different websites under the same admin and not as a site and a subsite.
    Pascal.

Torsten8579
    Participant

@torsten8579

Thank you very much casiepa (Pascal)! πŸ™‚

So my thoughts about it were not too wrong πŸ˜‰ … That’s kind of a nice feeling – as I am not a tech-pro πŸ˜‰ … So I will start fom here – and try my very best! πŸ™‚

Thank you very much so far! I guess I will be back sooner or later for some (stupid) questions πŸ˜‰

Best Regards
    Torsten

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar