Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Cookie Hell: WPMU + BBPress = bloodshot eye balls

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Trent Adams

@trent

Steven,

I not sure of the ‘exact’ best procedure of combining bbPress and WPMU, but these are some users that have it going:

Simpler integration with WordPress

https://codex.wordpress.org/Ergate/wpmu_bbPress_integration

https://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2166&replies=10

It is a little different with WPMU as the table structures are a little different, but those posts seem to most likely have the key. Integrating with normal WP is much easier.

Trent

tseven

@tseven

Thanks for the heads up Trent. Unfortunately those mostly focus integration of user databases etc. Which I have already done.

Perhaps I’ll take a look at how each application is looking for the cookies. There might be a clue in there.

It seems most people have the forum in a sub directory of wp,.. which makes things much easier.

But what I don’t understand is,.. the cookies are IDENTICAL… why doesn’t it work?

Trent Adams

@trent

It will still let different cookies if you don’t have them ‘integrated’ for the login from the config.php. That is why I was leading you towards those articles. I am sure being an WPMU user you are fully aware of working with complex issues and I didn’t want to try and ‘dumb it down’ too much. In terms of the cookies issue, I have had plenty of problems moving things around and changing structures to know that the ‘WordPress Integration’ under the bbPress Documentation is the best when bbPress is in a directory inside WordPress, but not always!

If you let me know how you have it setup and what you have in your wp-config.php and config.php for cookie and integration stuff, I might be able to assist more. I just know that if you already installed bbPress and it is using bb_users versus wp_users, it might be harder to get the cookies working (at least in my experience)..

Trent

tseven

@tseven

I fixed it! o/

Remember how the cookies “looked” identical?

Well they weren’t.

The cookies created by bbpress added the hash to the end of the cookie name.

Both Safari and Camino didn’t reveal this, but Flock did. I was using these other browsers as a testing platform because I needed to clear cookies in between each test.

I added:

$bb->usercookie = 'wordpressuser';
    $bb->passcookie = 'wordpresspass';

To my bbpress config to solve the problem. (which I found on one of the links you sent me)

I actually like the idea of the cookie name including the hash. Isn’t this more secure? Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t this make it near impossible for another site to read that cookie?

Thanks for your help Trent!

Trent Adams

@trent

Glad you got it working! Marking the topic as resolved!

Trent

fofr

@fofr

My WP cookies have a hash added to the end of their name (using WP 2.1), this hash is the same as the password hash. Did you delete this/edit it in WP?

horrorshow

@horrorshow

FofR, he’s trying to integrate WPMU, not WP, with BBpress

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar