Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Considering Switching From Phpbb – Ease of Plugin Intallation

• JayFoster
    Participant

@jayfoster

I’m not a website developer. I’m just a user of WP for two sites. I have a third site that I had a developer set up which is a forum and it is run with phpbb (he said this is what I should use).

What frustrates me is the huge DIFFICULTY in installing a “mod.” I don’t want to have to contact my web developer to install a mod every time I need one. That’s why ALL my websites (except this forum one) are run on wordpress – I can install/change just about anything on it myself within seconds.

What I’m wondering is, if I switch to bbpress is the installation of plugins just like wordpress? I don’t have any problem with that because it’s just click on a couple of buttons. Phpbb on the other hand, requires me to edit files and write code for a “mod” installation. It’s time-consuming and drives me nuts.

My forum is http://www.ForumJudo.com if that matters to your recommendations. I just basically want a site where users can send/receive private messages, vote on posts, post video/audio files, start topics, mods can delete posts & ban users, etc., and possibly a chat feature in the future.

I just know that phpbb is too difficult to install “mods.” I don’t want to learn code.

Thanks for any advice on this!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Shane Gowland
    Participant

@thewebatom

bbPress plugins work identically to WordPress’

Everything you’ve listed is entirely possible with bbPress, but as several of those features aren’t yet available for bbPress. You will need to do a lot of custom work, especially if you want to get a private messaging system working. That work will, obviously, require some coding expertise.

JayFoster
    Participant

@jayfoster

Does bbpress do everything now except private messaging? If so, I’m switching.

JayFoster
    Participant

@jayfoster

Can someone answer my question above? Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar