Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Connecting Facebook group to BBPress ?

• I know theres a discussion going on about using Facebook Connect with BBPress, but I wonder if there is any there way to merge these two?

I run a website, with an own Facebook group. They usually just write on the wall what the latest discussion is. Manually, with no links.

Is it possible to get something like an RSS feed of the forum integrated into the Facebook group? So users there can see the 10 latest threads appear as links?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • I’m pretty sure you can’t with Facebook groups, since (as far as I know), you can’t add applications to the groups page so you’re stuck with what’s available. Best I could suggest would be adding a link or using a Facebook Page.

Olaf Lederer
    Participant

@finalwebsites

bbpress registrations via facebook connect is not so strange, but there is no plugin at the moment, check facebook connect plugin from wordpress, maybe you can change it that it works.

btw. that would be a great feature.

Yeah, since I’m coworking with the FB group, that would help users from that group engage in discussions on my forum. And it would work both ways.

Ultimately, it would be great if a discussion could be shared between Facebook and BBpress.

Lets say a user starts a discussion on my board, it also opens up the same discussion on Facebook. So when another user either on the forum or in Facebook replies, it appears in both BBpress and the Facebook thread. A sort of shared discussion.

From what I can tell, the only things relating to groups in Facebook’s API are

groups.get
    Returns all visible groups according to the filters specified.
    groups.getMembers
    Returns membership list data associated with a group.

I think you’d therefore have to scrape the Facebook page manually and parse it’s HTML to pass back Facebook posts. Do-able, but it wouldn’t be very good for keeping in sync well.

Actually, nevermind, you could use this: http://pipes.yahoo.com/jasonsilver/facebookgroup to get posts from a group. It’s throwing things out in german for me, but that’s probably fixable. Facebook is stupidly locked down in the whole though, good luck posting to it.

Kawuso, that seemed like something I could use. But it didnt work. I entered the group ID, and it didnt find it.

I’m afraid I didn’t make it, so I can’t help you too much there, sorry. You used the full ID after http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid= right?

Yeah, I did. Anyway, I’m not gonna rush this. I’m gonna leave it up to the BBpress creators to work on Facebook connectivity for future versions.

Though as a user, it seems Facebook is more and more becoming a starting point for everyone, and can be a starting point for everything. “Log in with Facebook” can become a really powerfull tool, and so everything should work more with Facebooks several features, like groups and stuff.

The pipes dont’t work anymore, use the Facebook Group Feed instead; http://groupfeed.climatesceptics.org. Works the same with group id’s.

AaliyahAaren

@aaliyahaaren

If we were having this discussion 2 years ago we would have been talking about MySpace, before that possibly MSN messenger signings, and definitely before that AoL signing. No-one has made a point about why we should develop something into the core of BBpress that is dependent on the popularity and propriety software of another company.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar