Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Complete Noobasaurus

• AaronRighter

@aaronrighter

So, I decided to work fairly hard and invest a lot of resources into creating a gaming website. I have been pretty impressed with indie games lately, and decided to start a nice area where I can highlight some of the better ones and maybe talk to developers and post things like great soundtracks and art.

*Ahem* Apparently things have changed a little since I learned HTML in…1998 lol That being said I feel pretty stupid and have some very basic questions to ask. If these answers are somewhere on the bbPress site I apologize, I did some cursory perusing of the forums and didn’t find what I needed and because I’m on a bit of a time crunch decided a post would be quicker.

From what the internet tells me WordPress is a nice content managing/blogging platform and bbPress is the way to go if I want a forum. I have downloaded and activated both the bbPress and bbPress Integration plug ins through my WordPress.

My question is…where is it? Do I have to FTP any files onto the server? Is there a link somewhere I’m missing? Any (very patient) help would be appreciated. Thank you =)

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

#1 are you running the old 1x vs. of bbpress or the new plugin?

(I would suggest the plugin for sure as it’s the most updated)

#2 if you are not then here is the page to find the download to the plugin

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/plugin

*on the bottom of the page is the download link. Keep in mind that this is the most recent vs. and it changes almost daily until everything is finalized.

You simply click that link, save the file to your computer, and then go to your wp installation. In there you will use ftp to go into your wp-content/plugins/ folder.

#3 From there create a folder called bbpress inside the plugins directory.

#4 Upload the plugin you downloaded to your plugins folder

(browse the bbpress download and go into the folders until you see bbp-admin, bbp-includes, etc folders. You upload those into the bbpress folder that you created in your plugins folder)

Structure should look like

wp-content

–plugins

—-bbpress

bbp-admin

bbp-includes

etc….

#5 From there simply activate the plugin.

There are other steps needed to get the forums working properly in wp and your theme, but the above instructions will at least get you going.

AaronRighter

@aaronrighter

Hey thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The version number of the plugin is Version 2.0-rc-5 and looking at my FTP File Manager it looks like all the files are exactly where you say. Where should I go from here?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar