Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Child theme questions

• Scordisian
    Participant

@scordisian

I am finishing a Bootstrap 5 theme and I have some questions about the child theme structure.
    From what I can asses using BBpress theme as a child theme is by doing the following:

Copy all the template/default/bbpress files into my /childtheme/bbpress folder. This works smoothly and I am happily converting and theming.

But, the class “bbp-breadcrumb” is located in the /includes/common/template.php file.
    And the class “bbp-template-notice info” is located in the /includes/forumss/template.php file.

How would I go about to move this behavior to my childtheme? Copy those files there or add code to the functions.php file or something similar?

Any pointers are appreciated!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress will use the plugin templates, you do not need to copy these to your child theme.

not sure what you want to do with breadcrumbs, is this styling or changing behavior?

Scordisian
    Participant

@scordisian

I want to change styling by renaming classes into Bootstrap 5 classes. It increases the loading speed exponentially as I use Livecanvas on my site. Is there a way for me to do this or do I need to edit those specific files?

Scordisian
    Participant

@scordisian

The way I see it now I will just overwrite those parts in the child theme functions.php file, please correct me if I am wrong with this approach.

Robin W

@robin-w

what classes do you want to rename?

Scordisian
    Participant

@scordisian

Oh the description box and the tags. This is what I did with regard to the description box thus far:

function change_single_topic_description_class( $output, $r, $args ) {
        $new_before = str_replace( 'bbp-template-notice info', 'alert alert-info', $r['before'] );

$output = str_replace( $r['before'], $new_before, $output );

return $output;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_get_single_topic_description', 'change_single_topic_description_class', 10, 3 );

Robin W

@robin-w

yes, as long as you use filters, that will be fine

Scordisian
    Participant

@scordisian

Actually, breadcrumbs as well and I am puzzled by the Extras folder in the templates. Can those files just be moved into the mychild/bbpress/ folder? I checked the documentation but I couldn’t find a clear answer.

Scordisian
    Participant

@scordisian

Oh, if I am finished can I share the Bootstrap theme somewhere here on the site?

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, no hosting capability.

your welcome to post a link to your site, with your contact details for anyone who wants the theme

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar