Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Child CSS

• sbmar
    Participant

@sbmar

Is there a reason that I cannot get the main CSS file (bbPress) in my child theme is not being read any longer? It is only looking for the bbpress.min.css file now?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Hi there! Is this after updating to bbPress 2.6?

sbmar
    Participant

@sbmar

Yes it is… directly after the update the entire website changed becuase it was no longer referencing the bbpress.css file in my child theme…

hydrogriff
    Participant

@hydrogriff

@johnjamesjacoby, I can confirm this as well. The following things are broken for me.

• Child CSS won’t load.
    • Subforums are not listed.

Love the moderation features though. But still I have to rollback to earlier version to have a functioning forum. What happened this time? Usually production releases come out well-tested by the bbPress team. This is a bit disappointing.

Space
    Participant

@bkno

Child CSS has disappeared for me as well. WP and bbPress auto-updated last night.

Space
    Participant

@bkno

Workaround fix:

My theme’s bbPress custom styles were in bbpress/css/bbpress.css, I have copied the CSS contents into the main style.css and it is ok now.

raydelvec
    Participant

@delvec28

Same problem. I changed the CSS on my forum about a year ago, uploading the custom styles to Active Theme > css > bbpress.css

Then upon this latest update, they all reverted back.

It is fixed when you copy/paste the CSS code from that file into either main style.css or the Appearance > Customize > Additional CSS

I also use Autoptimize which wraps the bbpress.css code into one file.

I would like to know what’s causing the issue even though this is a workaround.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Thanks everyone for the details here.

For those who had a bbpress.css file, can you try renaming it to bbpress.min.css and see if it gets included now? I have a theory on what’s going on, and your feedback will help me narrow it down.

sbmar
    Participant

@sbmar

I threw all of my bbpress.css code into the bbpress.min.css file and it all became included at that point. Not sure I like that but at least it works…

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

One last question:

Are your bbpress.css files in the root of your theme directory, or under a subdirectory?

Like…

• css/bbpress.css
    • assets/css/bbpress.css

etc…

hydrogriff
    Participant

@hydrogriff

Hi JJJ,

Renaming to bbpress.min.css brings the style back. Yes, the bbpress.css is inside a subdirectory css.

Also, the subforum is not appearing. And I see two favorite and subscribe elements in the topic page now.

hydrogriff
    Participant

@hydrogriff

My apologies. The extra favorite and subscribe elements were added manually. You can ignore that part in my previous post.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Subforums are not listed.

The subforums not being listed will be fixed in 2.6.1.

A few more questions:

• Using any caching plugins?
    • Using any SEO plugins that might be interacting with CSS files?
    • Using a right-to-left language?
    • Overriding any constants? (WP_CONTENT_DIR, WP_PLUGIN_DIR, WP_THEME_DIR, etc…)

Anything else about your WordPress installations you can share?

The only related change I can find, is: https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3012

If you’re able to edit that file in bbPress directly, and revert it back, and test, that would be super helpful to confirm or disconfirm if that does it.

hydrogriff
    Participant

@hydrogriff

• Yes. W3TC with CSS minification.
    • Yoast SEO. As far as I know, it doesn’t interact with CSS files.
    • No.
    • No.

Related change test: Tested with both screen and all. Did not work.

Additional information:

I have dequeued bbpress stylesheets for non-bbpress pages, using the below code.

function dequeue_bbpress_style() {
        if ( class_exists('bbPress') ) {
          if ( ! is_bbpress() ) {
            wp_dequeue_style('bbp-default');
            wp_dequeue_style( 'bbp_private_replies_style');
            wp_dequeue_script('bbpress-editor');
          }
        }
    }
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'dequeue_bbpress_style', 99 );

I hope this helps.

I also noted another issue where the replies were not loading (both topic replies and threaded replies) for any topics.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Sorry, but bbPress 2.6.1 just went out without this fixed.

(There were a few issues that needed fixing ASAP.)

As soon as we have this figured out, another new bbPress release will happen.

Thanks for helping and being patient! 🙏

raydelvec
    Participant

@delvec28

Yes, I can also confirm that renaming to bbpress.min.css brings back the styles.

lflier
    Participant

@lflier

Thanks for the 2.6.2 update, which attempts to address this issue.

Unfortunately, it’s not working in my theme. I still require bbpress.min.css.

I’m running a custom theme under Genesis 3.2.1. I’m pretty sure I’m following the instructions for theme compatibility. The css file is in a folder labeled “css” in the theme root.

This does not appear to be a cache issue. The appearance of the page changes when I switch back and forth.

I’ve reproduced this bug on a LocalbyFlywheel development site and a live staging site.

I’ll monitor this thread. Let me know what else you’d like me to try.

Robin W

@robin-w

presume you are running

bbPress Genesis Extend

lflier
    Participant

@lflier

That’s a thought…

I gave up on this plugin a few years ago — it didn’t seem to do anything for me. Still doesn’t, unfortunately. There’s no difference with or without Genesis Extend.

Deactivating all of my other plugins doesn’t seem to help, either.

I’ve also tried copying css/bbpress.css to other themes, including the Genesis Sample and WordPress 2020. Both of these themes require bbpress.min.css, at least on my development server.

I’m using WordPress 5.3, bbPress 2.6.2.

hydrogriff
    Participant

@hydrogriff

@johnjamesjacoby, I can confirm as well. The 2.6.2 fix doesn’t work for me either.

• CSS is still not loading.
    • Sub forums are not displayed.
Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar