Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Change Post Author?

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Any plug-ins out there to add a change post author capability similar to WordPress, maybe in the admin panel or the admin area of the topic.php page?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What do you mean exactly? You want to take over the owner role of a post?

So you post as user, but afterwards change the author to another name or what?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Nothing with roles, actually something much simpler.

As an administrator, I would like to have a drop-down list on the post-form.php that has a list of all forum members, so that I can assign or change the author of a post.

Within the <?php if ( is_bb_tag() || is_front() ) : ?> there would be another drop down list, but rather than forum, would be the list of authors to say started that topic.

How would a list like that handle forums with lots of members?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I have a bit of code that does an ajax-ish drop down of all members and adding something up near the topic meta area is really easy but I still don’t understand why you’d want to change the author of a topic on a regular basis?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It isn’t about it being a regular basis, it’s about it being possible.

In my testing and installing of bbPress, I usually bounce back and forth between a KeyMaster, an Admin, and a Member test account, and sometimes I am logged in and make a post under the wrong one. :)

It’s more for convenience and possibility sake than it is for daily use or practicality.

Forums with many users would just have a million entries in the drop down. Heck I dunno man I just thought of this idea! :)

I strongly support adding this functionality. It’s true that I will probably not need it on a regular basis, but right now I’m trying to literally copy-paste some discussion threads from an online social networking site onto my new bbpress forum, and i’d love to be able to copy-paste a bunch of posts from a thread, and then quickly set their authors appropriately.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If it’s a one-time copy and paste type thing, why not just use phpMyAdmin and a query to update them all at the same time? I think people tend to create plugins they themselves have a need for, and so far there hasn’t been a big need for this. I’ve needed to do it a couple times, for reasons johnjamesjacoby mentions, but it’s pretty rare.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I think I may try to tackle this plugin when I have more time, because I find myself wanting it more and more.

I guess I come from the old school, where a webpage is basically just a snazzy interface for a database, so the interface should allow for any kind of manipulation of the database that you’d need, and only stop you from doing something silly. :)

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

This would be a good test plugin for my new username-suggest function.

You can’t just have a dropdown of thousands of users.

Markus Pezold
    Participant

@markus-pezold

hmm… this function/plugin would be great to admin’s for “cleaning” after an import from another software, e.g. phpBB.

When today a admin user goes into an old Post from an Guest Users (of the old software) and change something – the post is saved with his user-id. It’s not possible to change the username afterwards to the original username.

Hi all

Did this ever eventuate? Or did anyone find a plugin or hack that can do this please? We’d find it really useful when populating the database to be able to quickly switch a post’s author from a dropdown list.

Thanks

Warwick.

horiamar
    Participant

@horiamar

there is a plugin, works for me just partially:
    https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/orbisius-bbpress-enhancer/
    the problem is, I cannot change replies-authors, but just comments (topics) authors. Otherwise, it works fine!

fencer_x
    Participant

@fencer_x

@horiamar

That plugin was JUST what I needed–and it worked great for me in changing authors of both topics and replies. However, I had to change everything individually (the bulk change author did not work)–so maybe that is what’s causing you problems?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar