Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Catering for when users simply reply to emails

• Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I may have asked this before. I get many instances where users simply reply to a forum notification by sending an email. Really, their response should have been a new reply within the topic.

With Github I know it has the facility for when you reply to an email. It somehow manages to add the reply to the linked discussion.

Is there any way we can do this?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

The problems with this are multiple. Emails to site go into a mailbox – emails and web are separate – eg you can host you email with a totally different supplier, so in essence there is no ‘web software’ to catch an incoming email. So firstly the mailbox would need to exist on a mail server somewhere.

Next you’d need software on the email to look at all incoming, read the mail, work out if this is a reply, and to what message, check the sender’s mailbox to work out which user it is, and then get this software to send to another programme within the website, which can then create the reply.

The ability for spam and people pretending to be a user are numerous.

Github is created by very clever people, who have I presume done all this, but there would be a lot of code in many languages to achieve.

If it is an issue, then I’d suggest you amend your sending email to omit the actual content – so something like – ‘a new reply has been received, click here to read’ so that people have to click the link and are on the site to see content to reply to.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I getcha. Understood.

I use the bbPress Notify (No-Spam) plugin and for replies use this template:

A new reply has been posted by [reply-author].
    Topic title: [reply-title]
    Topic url: Link to Reply

Excerpt:
    [reply-excerpt]

I support I could either remove the excerpt like you say or add another sentence:

Note:
    Click on the link to log into the support forum and add your reply to the discussion. Please do not simply reply to this email with your response.

Robin W

@robin-w

I did look at some thoughts on this, but my knowledge of linking email to WordPress is too weak to work a solution out 🙂

it would be nice to achieve

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I appreciate that you took the time to look.

Maybe sometime soon we will get an updated bbPress? Who knows …. Atleast one that says it officially supports the latest wordpress version that is out.

Robin W

@robin-w

Atleast one that says it officially supports the latest wordpress version that is out.

I thought it now did – certainly here

bbPress

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

My apologies. I did not realise it had been tweaked two weeks ago.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar