Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can't run bbP Plugin in a subdirectory

• I began posting here:

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates/page/27?replies=793#post-87320

Still don’t know what’s going on, but I’m wondering if it’s related to running one copy of WP underneath another. My setup is:

webroot/ (production site is here with bbP active and working)

webroot/new/ (test site is here where bbP does not want to work)

‘new’ is just that – brand new 3.1.2 WP install with vanilla everything. But bbP simply will not work within it no matter what I try. If I have permalinks on default, any visit to domain.com/new/forums/ redirects me to domain.com/forums/ and if I set permalinks to /%postnam3%/ then I just get a 404 error with any request for /new/forums/.

Don’t know what else to try. In the other thread, Ryan also found the problem with permalinks, but not the other problem. This is why I’m wondering if it’s related to having 2 installs, one below the other.

Can anyone confirm/deny that this kind of setup doesn’t work?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You really shouldn’t have one WordPress installation inside another. That’s a recipe for exactly the kind of disaster you’re experiencing, since it’s most likely conflicting .htaccess files trumping each other.

“Running nested WP installs” is different than “Running WP in a subdirectory” because of exactly what I mentioned above. If you install WP in a subdirectory, it won’t care where it is (or what its path is) as long as you install WP correctly. Once you nest several installations on top of each other, you’re setting yourself up for headaches unless you’re able to fluently track down and alleviate the rewrite issues you’ll run into.

An important piece of missing information, do both of the WordPress installs work independently without bbPress activated on either of them? Pretty permalinks turned on, on both, etc… Once you get that to behave first, then it’s time to try adding things into them.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You really shouldn’t have one WordPress installation inside another. That’s a recipe for exactly the kind of disaster you’re experiencing, since it’s most likely conflicting .htaccess files trumping each other.

“Running nested WP installs” is different than “Running WP in a subdirectory” because of exactly what I mentioned above. If you install WP in a subdirectory, it won’t care where it is (or what its path is) as long as you install WP correctly. Once you nest several installations on top of each other, you’re setting yourself up for headaches unless you’re able to fluently track down and alleviate the rewrite issues you’ll run into.

An important piece of missing information, do both of the WordPress installs work independently without bbPress activated on either of them? Pretty permalinks turned on, on both, etc… Once you get that to behave first, then it’s time to try adding things into them.

OMG I feel like such a heel.. I totally forgot that bbP needs a page created with the name of the forums (‘forums’) in order to work.

DUH!!!

OK problem solved, all seems fine now. *blush*

Thanks all the same JJJ!!!

Jonathan

OMG I feel like such a heel.. I totally forgot that bbP needs a page created with the name of the forums (‘forums’) in order to work.

DUH!!!

OK problem solved, all seems fine now. *blush*

Thanks all the same JJJ!!!

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Phew. :)

I really hoped I wouldn’t need to trouble shoot more complicated permalink issues. :D

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Phew. :)

I really hoped I wouldn’t need to trouble shoot more complicated permalink issues. :D

You & me both my friend, you & me both! =)

Now back to the fun stuff… letting my coder work really hard and solve all my problems for me! *snort*

But seriously, I’m optimistic now.

Actually on a somewhat related note… how would you generally recommend people work with the SVN repo for bbP? I checked it out the other day but I’ve only used SVN for my own projects where I’m intimately familiar with the code and I’m also doing checkins. I’ve never worked in a “read only” fashion, where the changes I make must NOT be checked in. Been having a hard time wrapping my head around a good way to stay current using the repo but not lose my changes. Any advice there?

Jonathan

You & me both my friend, you & me both! =)

Now back to the fun stuff… letting my coder work really hard and solve all my problems for me! *snort*

But seriously, I’m optimistic now.

Actually on a somewhat related note… how would you generally recommend people work with the SVN repo for bbP? I checked it out the other day but I’ve only used SVN for my own projects where I’m intimately familiar with the code and I’m also doing checkins. I’ve never worked in a “read only” fashion, where the changes I make must NOT be checked in. Been having a hard time wrapping my head around a good way to stay current using the repo but not lose my changes. Any advice there?

Jonathan

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Run an svn checkout of the bbPress plugin, and just svn update periodically.

If this is on a remote server and you’re using SVN, you’re probably SSH’ed in, so…

cd wp-content
    cd plugins
    mkdir bbpress
    cd bbpress
    svn co https://bbpress.svn.wordpress.org/branches/plugin .

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Run an svn checkout of the bbPress plugin, and just svn update periodically.

If this is on a remote server and you’re using SVN, you’re probably SSH’ed in, so…

cd wp-content
    cd plugins
    mkdir bbpress
    cd bbpress
    svn co https://bbpress.svn.wordpress.org/branches/plugin .

actually I’m not much for command line so I’m using TortoiseSVN. I have the repo on my machine, the problem is I develop on the server, not locally, so my local copy is pretty much never in sync with my server copy, since this isn’t my SVN where I can manage the deployments.

SVN is awesome but when I try to understand the deeper workings of it, my head wants to explode.

Would this workflow do the trick?

1. Checkout repo locally

2. Upload to WP on server

3. Do my thing, edit files, whatever.

4. End of each day (or whenever), download my edited files to my local copy.

5. Start of each day (or whenever), update my local copy.

6. Upload updated files to server copy.

7. Goto 3.

In my head that seems like it would work, which probably means it’s horribly flawed. LOL

Jonathan

actually I’m not much for command line so I’m using TortoiseSVN. I have the repo on my machine, the problem is I develop on the server, not locally, so my local copy is pretty much never in sync with my server copy, since this isn’t my SVN where I can manage the deployments.

SVN is awesome but when I try to understand the deeper workings of it, my head wants to explode.

Would this workflow do the trick?

1. Checkout repo locally

2. Upload to WP on server

3. Do my thing, edit files, whatever.

4. End of each day (or whenever), download my edited files to my local copy.

5. Start of each day (or whenever), update my local copy.

6. Upload updated files to server copy.

7. Goto 3.

In my head that seems like it would work, which probably means it’s horribly flawed. LOL

Jonathan

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar