Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Cant get a banner to show up on top of my forum pages.

• vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Using bbpress 2.5.4, wordpress 4.1, buddypress 2.2 http://www.new.stonemagegames.com

I just started learning all of this so please be patient with me. How come when I make a new forum and it brings up the new page where I can place an image, the image does not appear on the forum page when I click on the forum? I do not understand why this is so complicated. All I want is a banner on the top of the forum page. That’s it. Nothing more… nothing less… I haven’t found any way to do this or make it work. I dont know the proper terminology to use when searching for answers so I am completely lost. I have watched youtube videos and read many posts. My head is about to explode!!!

I made a page and threw it up in the top menu that says forums. It has a picture on it. My forums are on the side bar and they work fine. Why would they even bother giving me a page to upload media when I create a new forum if it wont even display it? It doesn’t make sense.

So then I tried using widgetlogic. I have entered every code I can find and nothing makes it display on the page that I put the banner on. All that happens is that my forum list disappears from the sidebar.

Please tell me that i’m just an idiot and I am overlooking something stupid and simple. Please tell me that it is not this complicated just to have a banner on the top of my forum pages. Please HELP!!!

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok so I can see a banner on

http://new.stonemagegames.com/forums/

but no forums listed below

and in

http://new.stonemagegames.com/SMG-Forums/Forum/gaming/

I can see a forum but no banner

which one of the above (or is it both) are you trying to fix, or have I misunderstood the problem?

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

I made the page to try and put the forums on the page with widgetlogic so I would have a banner. I can delete the page if that is not necessary. I figured I would just leave it up for now. If I can get the banner to appear at the top of the forum pages that would work as well. I just need to know how to do it.

I would like a different banner for each forum. That is what Im trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the timely response btw. šŸ˜‰

Robin W

@robin-w

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

correct. It is in my media library. I would like a different banner for each forum that I create.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, the simplest way would be

Dashboard>forums>all forums and edit each forum

put the banner in the description

then download my plugin

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-style-pack/

and tick item 6 Add Forum Description on the forum display tab

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Awesome. I will try it now. Thanks. šŸ˜‰

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Holy crap you did it!!! All of my stress just went away. I cannot thank you enough. šŸ˜‰
    Expect a donation from me!!!!!

Robin W

@robin-w

Hey great – glad to have helped !

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Do I have to disable the Plugin to see my forums option again in the dashboard or is there something I need to do to be able to get back into them?

Robin W

@robin-w

That’s interesting, no it should show all the time.

Can you check that activating / disabling makes it appear/disappear?

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

When i deactivate the forum option shows back up. When I activate i have no forum option on the back end. On the front end the forums still show but i cannot even post a topic as the admin. Are there settings I need to know about?

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, there’s a conflict there between something

what theme and other plugins are you running?

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

bbPress, bbPress New UI, Black Studio TinyMCE Widget, BuddyPress, Contact Form 7, iFlyChat, Regenerate Thumbnails, Responsive Lightbox, Widget Logic, WP-PageNavi

Other than yours thats it.

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Oh and I am using the Houman Theme

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks I’ll load that lot into my test site.

If you need this fixed urgently, come back and I’ll cut just the key part you need into a mini plugin.

Otherwise I’ll look at early next week

Robin W

@robin-w

@vikingpoker

I have another plugin user with this issue, which helps as it should get me quicker to a solution.

But can I also ask your help?

Could I please ask you to do 2 things (or any combination will help me)

1. Could you try version 1.2 ā€“ Iā€™m not sure if the latest version 1.3 is an issue

Therefore could you go to http://www.rewweb.co.uk/bbp-style-pack-1-2/ and follow the instructions.

If this works, then let me know, as it will eliminate much of my code as the issue.

2. If you are able to could you :
    a. Deactivate all plugins except bbpress and bbp style pack and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error when my plugin is also active.
    b. If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

Then switch back to your normal theme and re-enable all plugins (except mine as this is causing the issue) and come back with the results

Robin W

@robin-w

Oh and I am using the Houman Theme

can you confirm you mean the hueman theme

and that the plugin is ‘Responsive lightbox’ rather than ‘Responsive lightbox by dFactory’

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Yes I am using the Hueman Theme. I will check all of the plugins out like you suggested. I have a very busy weekend so I will get back to you on this. I am not in a huge hurry. I have a few weeks to get the website where it needs to be. Thanks again.

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Your earlier version of the style pack seems to work fine. I will give it a good look over the weekend.

Robin W

@robin-w

@vikingpoker

I’ve been doing some testing with another user with this issue, and have now released version 1.4, which should fix this issue

Regards

Robin

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

Wow! You must have some awesome programming skills! Is there a link yet for the new version? Also can you recommend any other plugins that might make my forum look better. It really looks plain and spread out. I want it to have tight boxes around the topics and clean. Kinda like this one we are chatting in now. šŸ™‚

Robin W

@robin-w

vikingpoker
    Participant

@vikingpoker

As far as I can tell so far the new version 1.4 works good. So here is another question. Is it possible to get the same banner to appear at the top of each topic screen as the forum screen, when you click on the topic?

I am happy with the results of this plug-in. It works. But what if a page template could be made for a forum with a specific header that also showed up on all of the topic posts under that forum. It just bothers me when you click on a topic and your back at square 1 with no header. Each Forum should be able to have its own header design that all topics created share within that forum. Using the forum page as the template would be the way to do this in my opinion but then I am not a programmer.

Just Curious.

Sean Westman
    Stone Mage Games

Robin W

@robin-w

This can be done, but I’d need to do some work for it, contact me via my website

http://www.rewweb.co.uk

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar