Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Can’t Change Font Size in Topic Editing Page

• MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

I can’t reduce the font size on the Forum/Topic Type/Topic Status dropdowns so they don’t get cut off. This is using bbp Style Pack.

I’m running Astra Pro with a child theme, Elementor Pro and WP Super Cache. I’ve cleared the cache, done a browser (Microsoft Edge) reload (ctrl F5) and the font size change doesn’t show up. All of the green background lines in “it’s not working” are green, as they should be.

WordPress 6.1.1
    bbPress 2.6.9
    bbp Style Pack 5.1.5

What else should I try?

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

link to an example please

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

Sorry, Robin, but it’s in a subscriber-only section of the site so there’s no easy way to do that.

If necessary, I could set up a dummy account for someone to use to access the forums area. But I wouldn’t want to post the credentials on this help forum.

If screenshots would be helpful I’m happy to provide them, although I don’t recall a way of uploading them to a comment/entry.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, can I ask which setting in bbp style pack you are using – ie what tab and what setting number, that should let me suggest some fix

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

Sure: I’m tweaking setting #1 on Topic/Reply Form

Robin W

@robin-w

so that changes the

‘Topic Title (Maximum length’… label above the area where the user types in the title.

This changes on my test site.

Is that the one you are trying to change?

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

Yes, but it also (according to the picture) should change the font for Topic Tags, Topic Type, Topic Status (State?) and the notify me checkbox text.

Robin W

@robin-w

yes it does on my test site.

are none or only some of these happening?

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

On my site, changing the font size to “8px” without the quotes does not change the font size. Interestingly, changing the color did update the color.

Based on further experimentation I think I see what’s happening: changing that particular font size parameter only affects the >>label<< for the dropdown, not the dropdown itself. Which is consistent with it being in the “1. Label” section :).

There doesn’t appear to be a way, through that configuration page, to change the font size of the dropdown.

Is the parameter maybe defined somewhere else?

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

Some further info, based on inspecting the page element…

It looks like the font size is defined in one of these classes:

ast-button
    ast-custom-button

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, not sure what ‘drop-down’ you are referring to.

you can load an image to your websites media, and then post the link here

Robin W

@robin-w

ast-button and ast-custom-button are not classes belonging to bbpress

Robin W

@robin-w

but if those are the classes then

.ast-button
    {
    font-size:  8px !important ;
    }

and/or

.ast-custom-button
    {
    font-size:  8px !important ;
    }

in either your themes custom css area or my plugins custom css tab

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

Here’s a link to an image showing the problem:

https://arcabama-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/p/mark/EZfzqhgx5xRMusyrijDIZKsB3mSPnHOC5A4bnTAffVZARQ?e=PIgduh

But I think your comment about those css classes not being part of bbPress are an important clue.

They are probably defined in the theme rather than customizable through bbPress, so you suggested css additions should work. I’ll give it a try and let you know what happens.

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

BTW, another thought: the selects (i.e., dropdowns) are decorated with a css class called bbp_dropdown. Which would likely be a much better target for customization than the themes-based classes.

Do you know if bbp_dropdown can be customized through the style pack somewhere? If not, it might be a good capability to add.

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

Okay, took a little bit of messing around with caching and getting the class name right, but I managed to shrink the font to something readable.

Probably still a good idea to allow customization through the style pack UI if it’s not already available someplace.

Robin W

@robin-w

could you post the css you finally used please

MarkOlbert
    Participant

@markolbert

Sure, sorry, should’ve done that.

.bbp_dropdown { 
    	font-size: 12px;
    }

I added this at Appearance -> Customization -> Additional CSS. I’m using Astra Pro, but I think the location is the same for all/most themes.

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar