Categories
Search
Bottom

Cannot access abc/forums

• xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

Hi

I am having quite a strange problem with a test site leading to a re-direction to what appears to be the front page [In firefox, up the browser in page title section, you see “Posts – Site Name”], considering the content, if I try to go to the recommended & set abc/forums main page. Furthermore, if I try to VIEW any created, “published” forum, I get a page not found error.

This site is in a folder /abc. The site in the root folder has no problem with accessing site-in-rootfolder.com/forums. So i assume it is not a server-settings issue.

Other plugins, including 2 or so requiring “post name” permalink settings have no problem with the link settings, except one, “RecipePress reloaded”, whose author also recommends “post name” permalinks. With this, one should be able to access the main recipe page at mysite.com/abc/recipes. Instead, like in the bbforum case, although the url appears correctly, the content is clearly that of the blog front page!
    Resetting the permalinks, like he recommends, changes nothing.
    After explaining the problem to him, he said it was a bug in the plugin & the code he gave me to try out, partly corrected the problem, because mysite.com/abc/recipes this time correctly showed the main recipes page. The only problem is, it seems to affect other links leading to page not found errors until I either remove the code or disable the recipe plugin.
    That code was just for testing, so I guess he is going to improve on it.

Since the bbforum plugin (& this recipepress reloaded), unlike ALL other plugins which are all OK & their respective content can be found in its rightful place, I guess there is an issue also with bbforum.

I have tried to unistall & re-install bbforum/buddy press, deactivated the rest of the plugins, etc to no avail.
    This is the .htaccess I have, or get whenever I reset the permalinks:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /abc/
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /abc/index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

For buddypress, the links to members, groups, etc are all OK.

I hope with the description of the problem, the source of & solution to the issue can be identified & suggested.

I am using the latest version of WordPress & all modules.
    Same problem when using twentythirteen theme.

Link

PS: in case a helper finds the conditions on site different from those described, it might be code from the author of recipress reloaded plugin, which has a similar issue is being tested or implemented.

Thank you in advance.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

sorry I’ve read this twice, and I do appreciate that you’ve tried to give us lots of good info (unlike many posters!), but I don’t know what your actual issue is.

Can you describe in one sentence what is/is not happening and what you would expect.

xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

Hi there

Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

OK, we have this in the installation instructions:

Visit ‘Forums > Add New’ and create some forums. (You can always delete these later.) 5a. If you have pretty permalinks enabled, visit yourdomain.com/forums. 5b. If you do not have pretty permalinks enabled, visit yourdomain.com?post_type=forum

I have done just that. I assume “post name” = pretty links,(or not?) If you visit yourdomain.com/forums,which in this case is here,it does not take you to the forums page, although the link suggests so. Instead, that content is what you find on the site front page as you can establish by clicking on “home”.
    Also appending “?post_type=forum” to url, you will note also takes you to the site front page.

These => are the forum settings.

What more do I need to make the main forum page appear?

I do not know if it is a coincidence … I am having a similar problem with recipepress reloaded plugin, where instead of site.com/recipes taking me to the recipes page, it takes me to the same front page seen above, though the author says it is a bug in latest update of the plugin.
    No other plugins are having any similar problem with links.

I otherwise do not see what more in the bbforum & buddypress settings to adjust.

Furthermore, I have created some forums, but when I try to view any of them, I get => Error 404 – The page you requested cannot be found!

Would appreciate any help.

Regards

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, some themes don’t like this way to display.

so I try

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

look at item 3 and try method 2.

If that doesn’t work then come back

xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

Hi

If you mean “3. Creating a forum page”, method 2, I tried that & was able to create this forum using the shortcode => [bbp-forum-index].

On the Forum settings page & “/wp-admin/post-new.php?post_type=forum” page, it seems this only deals with the forum supposed according to the bbpress default settings to appear at /forums, but consistently wont.

Does it mean all the forums & subforums have to be created using shortcodes (if so, any link where to find them?).

This problem is not being experienced on another site sharing the same web hosting account, and has a separate domain. In the root of this particular, problematic site is some web directory. I wonder whether its moved the site to?

I had a similar issue of consistent failure of accessing /recipes, generated by the recipepress reloaded plugin showing the recipe archive page, even with recommended default settings & permalinks, but just like the bbpress forum at /forums, it had the right url, but content of the site/blog front page. The plugin author, though said it was a bug in the plugin & changes in the code corrected the problem described here. Correct link now here.

Could there be anything in this root folder .htaccess of the web directory (unrelated to WordPress), which may be causing this & affecting the functioning of bbpress (& not other plugins like Buddypress & co) or WordPress proper & in directory.com/wordpress & even in wordpress.directory.com? I ma not conversant with .htaccess & co. 😉

So just wondering what to do next.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Kind regards

Robin W

@robin-w

Not really sure what to recommend next, this is well out of my comfort zone.

xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

Hi

I’m back after a while. 😉
    After a lot of research, enabling, disabling this & that, I discovered this issue only comes up if the recipepress reloaded plugin is activated.

It is recommended for the main recipe page to be at /recipes.
    If you first install this, then whatever you do, bbpress will not be accessible at the recommended & preferred /forums.
    Instead as explained above, if you try to access the forums at /forums, whereas the url remains correct & pointing to /forums, the content of the blog front page is loaded & if I remember well, any latest forum content appears listed as one of the normal blog posts!

I tried however to uninstall bbpress & disabled all other plugins, including the recipe plugin, then re-installed bbpress. The set up run normally & the forums were accessible at /forums. When I reactivated recipepress reloaded, all its links, including /recipes returned a page not found error. It is only when bbpress is disabled that the recipe pages are accessible again.

Conclusion: both plugins cannot run together, at least with default settings (?).

Quite perplexed regarding what to do next since the site has to shortly go online & both the recipe & forum sections are integral partS. I cannot put off the issue any longer.

In suggestion above, you suggested an alternative solution of using shortcodes.
    I discovered at the that the forum I created, or at least it seemed works independent of the settings on the bbpress settings & admin pages & everything had to be done with shortcodes(?), or is there a possibility of an equivalent central admin area?
    Or am I mistaken?

Ideally, a solution to the apparent conflict between the 2 plugins would be great, but if it cannot be gotten (any time soon/at all), is there any equally easy way to manage forums created via shortcodes?

Some further guidance would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Robin W

@robin-w

the recipe plugin author was quite helpful on the plugin site – and you seemed to say that his suggested fix worked – did it for a time, or did it not?

xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

Hi

The recipe plugin seems to have had separate issue in addition as its links where not accessible at the expected urls according to default settings.
    That was dealt with.
    Around that same time as I was first using that plugin & also setting up the bbpress forum is when I noted something wrong with bbforum forum at /forums.
    That is when I turned to bbpress.
    It seems to be the case as I found after repeated testing the other day as I now need to finish the site & hence visiting the issue again, that if you install bbpress first & use default settings, and later after activating recipepress reloaded,the recipe plugin links do not work.
    I also discovered that if on the other side you deactivate bbpress, the existing recipe plugin links work.

So to sum it up, this specific issue is still there, as described above.
    If it was possible to use the short code method you suggested & still be able access bbforum settings from its admin page, etc, I would settle for that, but the time I last tried settting up a forum, I got the impression one has to use shortcodes all thru, with no equivalent centralized settings page, which made it rather complicated to administer the forums & have an overview.

Of course better would be if there was no apparent conflict.

Regards

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ve just tried having both these plugins on my test site, and can see exactly what you mean, my forums become archive posts just as yours did, and I’m using a shortcode so that way won’t work.

So definite conflict between how these two forums are using slugs, and I suspect that the recipe one is overwriting a forum one, but don’t know how, possibly via a filter on wordpress.

I’d suggest since the recipe plugin author will have far better knowledge (as he has slug settings in his plugin) that you go back with a fresh post, and explain that on a base theme (mine was twentyten) with just bbpress and his plugin and nothing else

http://www.mysite.com/forums takes you to blog archives page

and see what he comes back with

xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

It’s good to know the issue is not just happening in my head 🙂 & that u can confirm it.

I have contacted the recipe plugin author, though being a busy man, I hope that he has time soon to look into it. Will report back in case …
    Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

Regards

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, partial solution for you – I have done some further testing

In dashboard>settings>forums make the forum slug /forums

The create a page called ‘forum’ and put

[bbp-forum-index] into this. Save and view to make sure you can see this

Right now change the heading to ‘Forums’, the page slug will stay as forum, and as long as that doesn’t match the forum slug in settings it seems to be ok.

Then create a menu item for this page

That seems to function BUT the breadcrumbs will still go to the wrong place, so for the moment take these out

Layout and functionality – Examples you can use

That will at least get you a working forum and recipe. All that’s missing are the breadcrumbs

Let me know how you get on

xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

Hi

I will look into this as soon as I get time.

The author of recipepress reloaded tried to reproduce the problem after I contacted him as mentioned above. Though he did not go through everything, he says the test version to be released sometime(hopefully) in the near future accommodated both /recipe & /forums with the latter showing an empty forum, which I assume means not the blog archive content was loaded at that url.

I will post an update.
    Thank you form your help.

Regards

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem but please come back with further info when you have it to help anyone in futire who sees this thread at a later stage.

xprt007
    Participant

@xprt007

Hi

The recipe plugin update ended up solving a small connected issue, but not the main one mentioned above. I informed the author again this morning & he quickly acted saying he found the bug in the plugin:

OK, bug confirmed and (hopefully) found and resolved.

Could you please edit the file php/class/rpr_core.php in the recipepress-reloaded plugin folder and change line 317 from
    if( !is_page() && ! is_attachment() ){
    to
    if( is_home() || is_category() || is_tag() ){

This should be it. However this might introduce other problems I couldn’t find so far.

Editing that file immediately made it possible to get the forum archive at /forums, with the recipe plugin activated, which was not possible before.

The hope is nothing else is affected by this change. So I am going to check if the forum & other aspects of the site are running normally. I have no experience to tell if that code could affect some other function in WP.
    It seems the cause lies outside, though it affects bbpress.

I had not yet got time to try the short code solution.

Very grateful, though for your support.

Kind regards

Robin W

@robin-w

Hey great, glad that you are fixed, an sort of see what he has changed (essentially the code was executing for a page which bbpress is and he’s essentially limited it to categories). Chances are that it won’t affect anything else.

I presume he will release this as a permanent fix at some stage, but in the meantime, keep a note of this change, in case it gets overwritten by a plugin update.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar