Categories
Search
Bottom

Canceled membership but users are still receiving emails

• lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

Hello,

People who cancel their membership are still getting emails for forums that people are replying to. Since they cancelled, they can’t log in and unsubscribe. How do we make it so that when someone cancels their membership, they are no longer sent any emails?

The email is getting sent by:

Our site is password protected at http://www.nutribabenation.lovechard , but we would send you login details if you require.

Thanks!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

how are they cancelling membership?

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

I’m not sure what you mean… they are logging into their account and cancelling their recurring subscription that is linked to the forums (Memberpress). They have email notifications turned off already, and they can’t unsubscribe directly form the email. They have access to their account page, but there is nothing there about forum emails. It says “Login and visit the topic to unsubscribe from these emails.” … but they can’t cause they aren’t members anymore. Thanks for your help!

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

The email is getting sent by <noreply@nutribabenation.lovechard.com> but I can’t figure out where that is getting generated from. Memberpress said it is not from them.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so you are using memberpress – since memberpress is a paid plugin – I’d ask them if memberpress is integrated with bbpress, and let them fix this issue

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

I already asked them, They said it was a BBPress issue.

Vinod Dalvi
    Participant

@vinod-dalvi

@lovechard Please understand that the bbPress provides functionality to users to subscribe/unsubscribe to topics from topics page but memberpress is restricting them to access topic page so they don’t have access to the page to unsubscribe to the topics.

Here memberpress is changing the bbPress default process so in this case on cancelling the membership the memberpress should also unsubscribe users from all topics.

The code in the following plugin will help memberpress to develop this functionality.

https://github.com/tharsheblows/mjj-bbp-subscription

Robin W

@robin-w

I’d ask them if memberpress is integrated with bbpress

did you ask them the question above?

ie is their plugin is integrated with bbpress and should be doing this, but it isn’t in your case, or if they haven’t integrated with bbpress, in which case it is not really up to bbpress to make sure there software works with paid plugins, so you would need someone to write the code that hooks to the memberpress cancellation to cancel the user subscriptions.

PS I’m kinda interested that cancelling membership leaves the user still set up and able to access your site? Do they still show in dashboard>users?

oh, and what version of bbpress are you using?

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

I am using bbPress Version 2.9.1. I just don’t understand how it’s not automatic. I feel like members who cancel should be automatically unsubscribed after cancellation. Leaving the forums unrestricted to non members for them to unsubscribe to after than cancel would defeat the purpose of having a private forum on my private paid membership site.

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

^^^ Whoops, I mean bbPress version 2.5.14

@robin-w
    Yes, they are integrated with bbPress but said that they cannot assist, that this is a bbPress issue. Thanks for your help, I appreciate others helping me figure this out! 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

PS I’m kinda interested that cancelling membership leaves the user still set up and able to access your site? Do they still show in dashboard>users?

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

@robin-w yes, they are not removed entirely because many people come back and I do not want their information removed completely. The emails are coming from bbPress though, not memberpress.

Robin W

@robin-w

so what forum level do they have once they have cancelled?

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

They aren’t able to access the site after they cancel… which is why they can’t unsubscribe from the topics.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, but if you look at their profile

dashboard>users>edit user

what is their forum level eg participant, spectator, blocked

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

@robin-w It shows Forum role: participant
    User role: Subscriber [but pages are blocked after cancellation]

Would I have to manually go in and change this after they cancel?

Thanks!

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

What I go from memberpress:

“I understand the need for this, but this is coming from bbPress so there is only so much we can do. bbPress has no way to to blanket unsubscribe someone from all of their forums/thread email subscriptions. If bbpress had a way to unsubscribe globally, then we could look into it but going topic by topic, which is how they have it setup does not work. Simply put bbPress doesn’t have the utilities to make it reasonably possible”

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

What I got from memberpress:

“I understand the need for this, but this is coming from bbPress so there is only so much we can do. bbPress has no way to to blanket unsubscribe someone from all of their forums/thread email subscriptions. If bbpress had a way to unsubscribe globally, then we could look into it but going topic by topic, which is how they have it setup does not work. Simply put bbPress doesn’t have the utilities to make it reasonably possible”

Robin W

@robin-w

bit of a cop out answer (ie ‘we can’t be bothered’), but yes you can manually do this using

bbP Toolkit

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

Oh great, so those are things I can add/modify once downloading the toolkit?

Robin W

@robin-w

yes

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

@robin-w thank you so much for your time to help me! I am so not technology inclined so I really appreciate it!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I understand the need for this, but this is coming from bbPress so there is only so much we can do. bbPress has no way to to blanket unsubscribe someone from all of their forums/thread email subscriptions. If bbpress had a way to unsubscribe globally, then we could look into it but going topic by topic, which is how they have it setup does not work. Simply put bbPress doesn’t have the utilities to make it reasonably possible

The bbp_topic_subscription_user_ids filter can be used to remove users from the array of users to be notified about new replies to topics.

The bbp_forum_subscription_user_ids filter can be used to remove users from the array of users to be notified about new topics in a forum.

On the Memberpress side, or in a separate add-on, they can filter those arrays, remove “inactive” members from those emails, and problem solved.

I’d also argue that you actually don’t want to blanket unsubscribe anyone from anything, because if they ever re-subscribe, they’ll want to get all of their previous history back; right? If you purged all those subscriptions when their membership expires, that would kinda stink for them.

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

@johnjamesjacoby yes, I don’t want them to lose their data if they come back… but they can’t continue to get emails after they cancelled.

This may be a dumb question, but I have no idea how to use a filter. Thanks for your help!

Robin W

@robin-w

@lovechard if you’d like some code around JJJ’s filtering suggestions, contact me via my website

http://www.rewweb.co.uk

lovechard
    Participant

@lovechard

Another issue just spotted. When a new forum topic is started AFTER a member cancels, they are automatically subscribed to it and start getting emails. Again, they can’t edit this because they are no longer a member. I looked everywhere in the back end for something that may have been check marked to auto subscribe members to new things, but I can’t find anything. Thanks!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar