Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Bulk user creation

• purkleturkle

@purkleturkle

Hello, I would like to create users in bulk is this possible with just bbpress i.e. is there a plugin.

I have tried to created a csv and imported into PHPMYADMIN and all the data is populated (example below) but when I go into bbpress users to look what has imported it says “Inactive (no role)” next to the user. Is it possible to assign the users a role and where is this stored?

Also how does the user_pass string work or is this where I am going to get stuck?

ID,user_login,user_pass,user_nickname,user_email,user_url,user_registered,user_status,display_name

22,testuser,$P$BQHywh8ariE18rJg0h8preaPL1dd3x2,testuser,testuser@mail.com,http://www.website.com,2010-03-15 00:00:00,0,testuser

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

As you seem pretty savvy with mysql, I would suggest looking at the code from bbconverter (bbconverter.com) in order to see how AWJunkies is importing the users. It is pretty straightforward code and easy to follow. It should give you exactly what you are after.

purkleturkle

@purkleturkle

Thanks Anointed

Sorry I must of given the impression that I new what I was doing! Importing CSV data into MYSQL is about the limit.

I have taken a look at the bbconvertor code but I am still none the wiser.

I am able to change membership manually in bbpress front end, I still can’t see where this parameter is set in MSSQL.

I am also able to change the password which then works with a new password string which I think is MD5 – I don’t really understand how this works.

I can do it manually through the front end but was just wondering if there was a quicker way.

Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

With your level of expertise that you are describing, definitely use the front-end to import the users. It’s slow, but of course it will work.

Passwords are a combination md5 + salt, and are rather complicated to automate. Once again, bbconverter does this rather elegantly.

Pretty much the fastest way possible really is to write a custom script, and if it were me, I’d base it off of bbconverter. If that is beyond your scope, then I wouldn’t bother as by the time you get it figured out, you would probably be done anyhow :)

If you are talking a huge amt of users, then consider contacting AWJunkies over at bbconverter for a custom quote for the job. He’s a top notch pro at this stuff. He’s not cheap, but then again he’s about as great a coder as you could ever hope to find.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar