Categories
Search
Bottom

Building plugins for the bbPress 2 WP plugin

• Space
    Participant

@bkno

Hi

I’m going to look at adding a feature to bbPress (WP plugin version) and have a couple of questions.

1) Should my plugin live in /webroot/wp-content/plugins (same level as bbPress folder)? If so what differentiates this from being a WordPress plugin (or should I not worry about making this distinction?)

2) The ‘customization’ page refers to a plugin API – what’s the best way to learn this? (any particular bbPress developer reference guides or documentation I should know about?)

Obviously early days with the new version, just want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Cheers

Ben

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • This is slightly guesswork, but based on my understanding of the code.

(1) You should write your bbPress plugin as if it’s a WordPress plugin.

(2) Searching the bbPress folder for do_action will give you all the bbPress hooks, and searching for apply_filters will give you the list of filters (there are a LOT of them). Learning the important functions is trickier – they seem fairly spread out around the code amongst the less important functions. For that, I guess we’ll need to wait for documentation.

This is slightly guesswork, but based on my understanding of the code.

(1) You should write your bbPress plugin as if it’s a WordPress plugin.

(2) Searching the bbPress folder for do_action will give you all the bbPress hooks, and searching for apply_filters will give you the list of filters (there are a LOT of them). Learning the important functions is trickier – they seem fairly spread out around the code amongst the less important functions. For that, I guess we’ll need to wait for documentation.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Yes, you’ll want to make them as WordPress plugins that specifically hook into bbPress actions and filters.

There are tons of places where things can be overridden, and it shouldn’t take long to learn the hierarchy. Everything inside the php files is documented pretty well, and eventually that will get moved over to this site with a codex.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Yes, you’ll want to make them as WordPress plugins that specifically hook into bbPress actions and filters.

There are tons of places where things can be overridden, and it shouldn’t take long to learn the hierarchy. Everything inside the php files is documented pretty well, and eventually that will get moved over to this site with a codex.

Space
    Participant

@bkno

Thanks guys, I’ll start my adventure and have a look at the code.

Space
    Participant

@bkno

Thanks guys, I’ll start my adventure and have a look at the code.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar