Search
Bottom

BUG: when pasting #reply URL in reply

• khunmax
    Participant

@khunmax

I have found a rather nasty bug:

Details:

If you right click on the (reply #number) in the top right of a topic reply, you can then click to copy link address.

If you then paste this address into a new reply form and submit, the result is a screwed up blockquote of the Topic name and some random graphics.

It appears to be conflict between bbpress and the WordPress 4.4 content embed feature.

On my local host installation it also causes screen flicker in a loop.

I discovered this when trying to look for a quote replies solution.

Any chance we can do something to block/stop/patch it.

Kind Regards

Max

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robkk

@robkk

Before Posting

Yes these ^^

There is a plugin to disable across your whole site

https://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-embeds/

We might add an option to the bbPress plugin to turn this off, or include this WordPress post oEMBED to the already present enable auto embed option.

In your post you said random images show up and some screen flicker? This makes it sound like a really bad bug, but thinking over it, is it just the icon images (share icon, WordPress logo, possibly a comment icon), and the post embed loading?

EDIT: Actually disabling auto-embed in your forums will also stop the WordPress post oEMBED feature.

khunmax
    Participant

@khunmax

Hey Robkk

the image that appears is a large (screenshot) of the WP admin backend…

1. how do I disable auto-embed in my forums?

2. and if I do this, will my users still be able to post Youtube, Vimeo etc…

Kind Regards

Max

khunmax
    Participant

@khunmax

OK… so the option to uncheck embed is already available in the back end of BBpress at: settings/forum/auto-embed links.

So the plugin you linked to doesn’t really have anything to offer (other than stopping embeds in WP).

Another ham-fisted way around this bug it to use the css:

.bbp-reply-header a.bbp-reply-permalink {display:none}

(which by the way bbpress have done on these forums)

The downsides are:

1. no numbering reference on replies if someone want to quote or link to old reply.
    2. In front end profile/replies no link on each reply to take user back to relevant thread.

What do you think is best: display or not display?

Are their any other options?

Robkk

@robkk

So the plugin you linked to doesn’t really have anything to offer (other than stopping embeds in WP).

Did you try it? That plugin is specifically for those new WordPress post embeds.

THe setting I mentioned in the bbPress forum settings removes all embeds (youtube, flickr) including the WordPress post embeds.

You do not have to use CSS to hide the little post id number.

Did you try the disable embeds plugin? It may not do the forums specifically, just site wide.

khunmax
    Participant

@khunmax

Thanks for your input.

I think there is currently no fix for this bug if one wishes to have embeds in their forums.

Robkk

@robkk

Technically it is not a bug, it is that you just do not want the feature (I am not a fan of it either).

I swear as long as you have enable embeds in the bbPress forum settings and just installed the Disable Embeds plugin, you should not see those specific WordPress post/page embeds that you explained in your earlier post or the ones that are displaying correctly in this post https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/free-wordpress-theme-that-are-bbpress-ready/#post-176073.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.