Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

blank screen instead of wp-admin after activation

• Dear bbPress-Team and community,

I’ve been trying to install the bbPress Plugin to my WP. I tried to do so on my local machine first, and all went fine. When I tried on my web server, everything went fine until I activated the bbPress-plugin in the wp-admin plugin section. WordPress responded with a blank (white) page, and afterwards, I could not even access /wp-admin/ (also responding with a blank screen). When removing the bbPress directory from the plugins directory, everything is fine again. /forums/ responds with the usual 404 in either case.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to my server’s error logs. Do you have any ideas what could be the problem here? The major difference between my local machine and the web server is that the latter cannot connect to the outside world via http – maybe this is mandatory?

Btw: I have double-checked the requirements, my webserver configuration seems to be okay for bbPress:

Wordpress 3.3.1

PHP 5.3.2

MySQL 5.0

I’d be happy about any hints which might help to trace down the problem.

Thanks, best regards,

Peter

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• kirandavid445

@kirandavid445

I have read your post just now. You have written very well . I hope it will be useful to others.

AS9100 Auditor Training

Dear bbPress-Team and community,

I finally got hold of the server’s error log files, after grepping through gigabytes of error messages from other websites running on the server, I came accross those (which is exactly the time when I tried to call /wp-admin/ with bbPress plugin activated):

[Tue Apr 17 17:54:48 2012] [error] [client […]] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in […]/htdocs/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-list-table.php on line 859

[Tue Apr 17 17:54:53 2012] [error] [client […]] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 30720 bytes) in […]/htdocs/wp-admin/includes/theme.php on line 255

Seems to be a memory issue. As I said before, the problem goes away as soon as I remove the bbPress directory from plugins, so it seems the issue is related to bbPress.

Do you have any idea how this problem could be solved? E.g. is there anything to configure or comment out in the code in order to decrease memory usage?

Best regards and thanks,

Peter

Btw: There are not too many plugins installed, and I had just removed several plugins some days before I first tried bbPress, so it really seems to be bbPress needing quite some memory… I’d really love if other users encountered the same behavior, and how it could be solved.

Thanks again

Okay, I hate having forum monologues, but maybe someone will find this interesting.

I have just checked the memory usage of the same blog on my local machine using TPC Memory Usage plugin, with all other plugins disabled: 17M

When enabling bbPress, memory usage jumps up to 22M.

5M for a single plugin, that is far more than my the other plugins use altogether… phew.

Yes, you might argue that a plugin with much functionality needs more RAM. But nevertheless: any hints how this could possibly be reduced? Apart from looking for another, more light-weight forum plugin?

Thanks

Yay, it’s me again.

I gave some other plugins a try yesterday: wp forum, mingle and simple-press.

All of them range between 1M and 2M of memory usage on my local installation, which seems fair to me. All of them seem to offer basic forum features one needs, mingle seems a bit overfeatured for my use case.

I think I’ll stick with Simple-Press.

Feel free to flag this topic as resolved if you like.

Thanks for your attention.

humanrights4tibet

@humanrights4tibet

Hi there, unfortunately I don’t have a solution for you, instead I am in the same situation….

My site is running fine until I activate BBPress Plugin version 2.0.2, then I see various memory allocation messages such as….

“Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 6310 bytes) in /home/humanrig/public_html/demo/wp-admin/menu.php on line 234”

After reading pparson’s posts I’m guessing my server is not running sufficient ram?

jmessick
    Participant

@jmessick

Same problem. I actually have 2.-02 working on a test site but when I activate the plugin on my live site the page just shows the “white screen of death” until I deactivate the plugin. Fortunately I still had the dashboard open in another tab so had to problem turning it off.

humanrights4tibet

@humanrights4tibet

OK, I just resolved my problem….

I asked a designer friend what he thought and after I shared with him that…

In cPanel (with bbPress uninstalled) I’m using 36.2% of my allocated 524288 KB.

He suggested….

So, it seems it’s not physical memory allocation that is the problem, perhaps it’s a PHP memory limitation?

I then emailed my hosting company to ask their thoughts and their reply…

Thank you for writing in. I have increased the memory_limit for your

domain name humanrights4tibet.com from 32MB to 64MB. You can check and

confirm the same using following phpinfo URL:

This has resolved my problem and I have successfully activated bbPress Plugin – http://humanrights4tibet.com/demo/?post_type=forum&p=201&preview=true

Hope this helps you guys :)

humanrights4tibet

@humanrights4tibet

And if you have a problem turning the plugin off you can delete the plugin from the appropriate directory (in my case it was /public_html/demo/wp-content/plugins/bbpress folder) using Filezilla (or the like).

Regards…

jmessick
    Participant

@jmessick

I was experiencing a similar problem. Sometimes I couldn’t get the page to load at all. Other times the main page would load but other pages would not. I contacted tech support for my host (gator) and asked about increasing PHP memory. They actually came back with the answer that I was not using a theme which was 100% compatible with bbpress. Switching to “bbPress (Twenty Ten) 1.2 by WordPress and bbPress teams” seems to have taken care of the problem.

I would suggest that if you are getting white screens on some or all of your webgsite after activating the bbpress plugin that the first think to do wo uld be to make sure you are using a bbpress compatible theme.

humanrights4tibet

@humanrights4tibet

If you’re getting an error message talking about memory it is nothing to do with bbPress compatibility

jmessick
    Participant

@jmessick

Just trying to contribute. We had similar symptoms, but the solutions were different. I checked my error logs for memory errors. Findind none I contacted my hosts tech support.

Well it’s not really that hard to increase the memory limit.(as long as your host support it.) Open your php.ini and find the line “memory_limit =” and set it to 64M. And don’t forget to add the line “define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’64M’);” without the quote to your wp-config.php. You can also set it to 128M if you want.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar