Bottom

Bizarre – Formatting Toolbar Disappears When Logged In

• Nik_S
    Participant

@nik_s

WordPress Version: 4.5.3
    bbPress Version: 2.5.10
    Website Link: http://www.sva.bc.ca/newforums/

Well, this is a strange one. The formatting toolbar (above each editor area with the bold, italics, link, etc. buttons) disappears when someone is logged into my forum.

I have already tried disabling all other plugins, to no avail. No change from clearing my browser’s cache or trying different browsers either.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, but can you post a with and without screenshot to clarify exactly where you mean

Nik_S
    Participant

@nik_s

Hi,

Here is what the editor looks like when logged out:
    http://www.sva.bc.ca/logged_out.png

And here is what it looks like when logged in, with any user role:
    http://www.sva.bc.ca/logged_in.png

Note the TinyMCE/Quicktags editor buttons are missing. The images above show this for the topic creation but it’s the same for replies. Here is the HTML code that appears when I inspect the element (while logged in):

<div id="wp-bbp_topic_content-editor-container" class="wp-editor-container">
        <div id="qt_bbp_topic_content_toolbar" class="quicktags-toolbar"></div>
        <textarea id="bbp_topic_content" class="bbp-the-content wp-editor-area" name="bbp_topic_content" cols="40" tabindex="102" rows="12">
        </textarea>
    </div>

Robin W

@robin-w

so do you allow anonymous posting?

Nik_S
    Participant

@nik_s

Yes, that is the plan, although we might turn it off if spam becomes a problem. But toggling the Anonymous Posting setting does not seem to fix the issue.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so something is turning it off.

It could be a theme or plugin issue

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentyfifteen, and see if this fixes.

Then come back

elronaldo
    Participant

@elronaldo

Related prob: not only is the toolbar in the body edit are gone, but the body edit area is only about 5px high – you can drag it bigger, but it will not accept any text at all – if submitted empty, irt responds with ERROR: are you sure you wanted to do that? And of course, nothing is posted.

Turned off ALL other plug-ins as recommended above, and prob still occurs. I am using Athena theme and switching to Twenty-fifteen does indeed one to edit in the body box, but trying to save results in the same error msg.

elronaldo
    Participant

@elronaldo

Yikes! See previous post immediately above… when I finished with the above tests, I returned to the root forum display (public view) and the one forum I’d started setting up was gone, I assume as a byproduct of my 2 failed post attempts above. It was still present in the admin view of the forums, and editing/updating it (correcting some spelling in the headline and description) made it re-appear in the public view…

Gonna go try a couple of other forum plug-ins now, but wish I could use the one supported by WP creators… hopefully, we’ll get a solution soon and can come back to this plug-in…

Nik_S
    Participant

@nik_s

Hi Robin, no change when I disabled all other plugins but switching the theme to the 2015 WordPress default corrected the problem.

So, something in my theme is hiding it, and only hiding it when someone is logged in. Any ideas what could be doing this or where I should look? I can’t find anything that looks significant in the theme’s functions.php file but I suppose I don’t know what I’m searching for.

Thanks for your help!

Robin W

@robin-w

@nik_s which theme are you using?

Nik_S
    Participant

@nik_s

@robin-w it is a version of Bones (modified for the website template):

Bones

But I don’t recall adding any special functions or anything that could be causing this.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I’d try reaching out to the bones theme support team, as it looks like an issue with their core theme

Nik_S
    Participant

@nik_s

Solved! Going line by line through the Bones theme I discovered that the call to load jQuery <script type="text/javascript" src="/wp-content/themes/bones/library/js/jquery.js"></script> was located in the theme’s footer “for faster loading.” Moving this line to the header fixed the problem. Still not quite sure why – seems the editor cannot wait for jQuery to load – but at this point I’m just glad it’s sorted. Thanks again for your help @robin-w.

Robin W

@robin-w

great – glad you are fixed, and thanks for posting the solution, which will help anyone searching in the future

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar