Categories
Search
Bottom

bbpress topics for posts

• erich199
    Participant

@erich199

@robin-w,
    I am wondering if you had taken over the plugin bbpress topics for posts? I noticed a topic about it but then noticed the plugin hasn’t been updated in a very long time.

Can you fork it? I’d be happy to contribute to you for doing so.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• bodybyloud
    Participant

@bodybyloud

I’m also hoping for an update to this plugin. Who do we need to pay?

wpturk
    Participant

@wpturk

To fix problems for this plugin in WP 5.5.X try this:

Why WordPress 5.5 broke your site & how to fix it

Robin W

@robin-w

I’ll take a look

Robin W

@robin-w

@casiepa – are you happy to update this plugin, or can I be added as a contributor?

erich199
    Participant

@erich199

@robin-w,

Thanks for taking a look Robin. I haven’t seen any activity on that plugin for a very long time. It’s a great plugin and I’m shocked it’s something that isn’t being maintained. Please do let me know how I can contribute to this.

Robin W

@robin-w

@erich199 and @bodybyloud – I have now had a look at the code.

I’m presuming both of you are using wordpress with blocks (ie the newer block editor rather than the classic editor) in posts and pages – I can see that this would not allow you to add topics for posts to new (or amend existing).

But it would allow the display in posts for old ones.

Is this what you are seeing ?

If so I think I can help, if not – can you explain further what is not happening

bodybyloud
    Participant

@bodybyloud

Hello @robin-w, my website is a listing directory site. I’m not using the new block editor. I’m using the classic editor. The plugin will create topics for regular blog posts. I want each listing to be a topic when published. The discussion box on the listings editor shows the settings to create a topic and choose a forum to host the topic but no topic is created upon publishing the listing.

Robin W

@robin-w

@bodybyloud – so are listings a custom post type? (if you know what I am talking about !!)

erich199
    Participant

@erich199

Hi @robin-w,
    Thanks for the reply. I actually am using Gutenberg for my website in conjunction with Elementor.

My use for the plugin is so that I can make topics go into specific forums I’ve created. The original plugin had the capability to do this I believe but from post to post in the post editor.

neon67
    Participant

@neon67

This plugin works fine for me in conjunction with the plugin disable Gutenberg

erich199
    Participant

@erich199

hi @neon67, I think that will work for some but for others, like myself, we’ve started using Gutenberg.

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks everyone

so yes, the plugin won’t work with Gutenberg, as it doesn’t use the same way to interact with metaboxes. I can write some code to do that, and I’ll take a look at what’s involved.

For those of you that aren’t using Gutenberg eg disabling or installing classic editor plugins, then as far as I can see it still works ok – does anyone have any issues with it ?

@bodybyloud
    – not sure if you are looking for an additional feature – ie automatically create a topic on post publishing, or if the existing functionality isn’t working for you – ca you come back with some further detail please.

neon67
    Participant

@neon67

The plugin works well, no crashes were noticed. But, it is important that the Disable Guttenberg plugin is installed, just the classic editor is not enough, there is a difference – I read about this somewhere in the discussion for this plugin, I remembered it.

The functionality of the plugin is very useful – I publish news on my blog, and then they are discussed on the forum: in a new topic that is automatically generated.

bodybyloud
    Participant

@bodybyloud

@robin-w

Yes, the listings are a custom post type. I’m not having any problem with the regular blog post generating topics when published. If it’s possible I’d like the capability to be added to custom post types like listings and book reviews.

bodybyloud
    Participant

@bodybyloud

I’m also using the disable Gutenberg plugin. It was causing issues with other plugin functionality before I even installed bbpress topics for posts.

Robin W

@robin-w

@bodybyloud I’m most of the way through getting this going – can you test when I am ready?

and do you know the actual post type names you want to add – ie what they are called in the database ?

erich199
    Participant

@erich199

@robin-w,
    I can help test with my test site when you’re ready.

bodybyloud
    Participant

@bodybyloud

@robin-w

I’d like the custom post type to be called “listings” in the database, if possible. Thanks for looking into this.

Robin W

@robin-w

@bodybyloud the old version might work for you if you are not using blocks if you add this

add_filter( 'bbppt_eligible_post_types', 'rew_add_types' ) ;

function rew_add_types () {
    	$types = array( 'post', 'page', listings' )  ;
    return $types ;
    }

Put this in your child theme’s function file –

ie wp-content/themes/%your-theme-name%/functions.php

where %your-theme-name% is the name of your theme

or use

Code Snippets

winkelj
    Participant

@winkelj

I’m also hoping for an update to this plugin.

bodybyloud
    Participant

@bodybyloud

@robin-w Thanks so much for the code. I think I’ll try to implement it with the code snippet plugin, I’m not familiar with adding code to files. One thing, the custom post type is actually called “job-listing” is it ok to change the term in the code snippet you provided?

Robin W

@robin-w

@bodybyloud – yes that’s fine.

bodybyloud
    Participant

@bodybyloud

@robin-w Sorry but that bit of code created a fatal error when I used it in the plugin. Please let me know if you’re available to custom code it for me.

Robin W

@robin-w

Robin W

@robin-w

@winkelj first version of this that should work with gutenberg is here if you want to test :

so
    1. Deactivate the existing bbpress topics for posts plugin (no need to delete it, just deactivate)
    2. Go to this site http://www.rewweb.co.uk/download/bbpress-topics-for-posts-v2/ and download the new version
    3. Go to dashboard>plugins>add new>upload plugin and upload the zipped file you downloaded in step 2
    4. Activate and test.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar